09 Dec 2012 14:32

I followed the installation process, but when I attempt to access Cobalt configuration in the Admin panel it times out. I get the following message in the error logs over and over again:

PHP Warning: readdir() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/social/

docs/libraries/mint/forms/fields/medirectories.php on line 135

And the page displayed is eventually blank and white.

Unable to proceed. Hoping someone can lend some guidance.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
09 Dec 2012 21:02

Are you installing Cobalt on Joomla 2.5?

Can you install other extensions?

10 Dec 2012 08:41

Yes, Cobalt on Joomla 2.5.

Yes, numerous other extensions installed.

Sergey
10 Dec 2012 20:32

most probably it is file permissions. Make sure all files and folders are reset to be owned by FTP user. All files are 644 and folders are 755. Clean folder logs and tmp. Make log, tmp, cache 777.

10 Dec 2012 21:55

I'm not using the FTP mechanism for install. when I do I get simply -1 - An error has occurred.

When I turn off "Enable FTP" the install throws no errors, but the behaviour when I attempt to access the plugin is as described.

Can I get a list of directories and files that should exist so I can figure out what's not being created properly?

I know my case is abnormal, but it looks like error checking to include an is_readable call might be helpful in /var/www/social/docs/libraries/mint/forms/fields/medirectories.php - it would be great if the app were telling me what was wrong so I can fix it.

Thanks so much for your help - looking forward to getting started with Cobalt!

Sergey
11 Dec 2012 06:06

Unfortunately we cannot fix installation process or add any is_readable. The installation process is done totally by com_install with is Joomla component.

I'm not using the FTP mechanism for install. when I do I get simply -1 - An error has occurred.

Not only you have to enable ftp you also have to reset all files and folders to be owned by FTP user. And all the rest I wrote in other post.

11 Dec 2012 08:08

Thanks. I've never found a satisfactory balance between permissions owned by the FTP user vs. the web-server. I'll try to sort this out.

Incidentally, if the install process is failing, it's being awfully quiet about it.

Sergey
11 Dec 2012 21:53

The FTP is not only solution to file permission it is also security feature. If you reset all files like I described PHP or Httpd user will have less permissions over Joomla files. So all files 644 it will not be able to rewrite. For php those fieles will be unwritable.

So I highly recommend to use FTP.

29 Dec 2012 16:47

I did correct the permissions and was able to re-install successfully with a bit of additional difficulty. Thanks!

Sergey
30 Dec 2012 04:56

Welcome :)