28 Nov 2012 09:01

It would be great if you could add a facility to copy a type or to save a type as a copy and to also copy the types fields. This would help to allow allow large numbers of similar types that have minor variations.

Alternatively if there was a way to share groups of fields between types and to select the field group within a type.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
28 Nov 2012 21:26

It would be great if you could add a facility to copy a type or to save a type as a copy and to also copy the types fields. This would help to allow allow large numbers of similar types that have minor variations.

Scheduled for Cobalt 8

Alternatively if there was a way to share groups of fields between types and to select the field group within a type.

I understand what you want. Unfortunately this approach is differ from what we have and will require redesign of Cobalt DB structure and some code. ANd at the end you will not get new functionality just make it work different. I think on this stage of development we cannot implement it. You can only achieve it by creating new groups with similar fields and Cobalt will automatically understand that those are the same fields.

steve1084 VIP
Total posts: 67
28 Dec 2012 00:34

Hi Serge, I also would like to see this changed. The current copy field is useless as it does not include all the field entered data. Maybe the creation of fields should be a completely separate entity. Then after creating a field you choose which category and which type it belongs to. Then if you make a copy it should contain al the data placed within the field when it was created and setup and save to any category or field. After field have been created I go into the Type and turn on or off the fields i want to use and there ordering. Something like the way its done in http://www.socialengine.com/

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
28 Dec 2012 03:44

You mean fields to be global? Once created it is accessible in all types?

This could actually work. But not in current Cobalt architecture. :) It is almost impossible to implement like this now.

steve1084 VIP
Total posts: 67
28 Dec 2012 06:52

YES YES YES but also copy means it copy's fully all the data parameters entered for the field because if it does not copy the field data parameters then you may as well just create a new blank field of the same type from scratch. :D