14 Nov 2012 02:11

Please does Cobalt have extensions for slideshow and item display like K2 and Zoo, can some eone direct me to sites build with Cobalt

Slideshow

Item Display**

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
14 Nov 2012 13:44

Good point. I could quickly answer with NO... or NOT YET... but that would not do any justice to this outstanding CCK project! I will try to explain the situation and possible solutions:

First of all, Cobalt is different, more complex and versatile than Joomla Core content, K2 and others. This advantage is also a little dis-advantage in regards of 3rd-Party support. Cobalt is new to them, and people tend to support stuff that is easy and fast to implemnt, and which has a large userbase. And its relatively easy to add K2 support to a Joomla module, because of simelarities. Though Cobalt is the successor of MightyResources, its relatively new to most developers. Its a re-write with even more templating features and API. So, any interested 3rd-Party developer has to learn how it works... Cobalt docs are in progress, some technical and structural infos are already available in the knowledge base. For further infos simply talk to "Sergey" and his team.

On the other hand, Cobalts architecture and fields allow you to have a powerfull search and filter display. Relations with parent/child and much more! Things you won´t find in another Joomla CCK.

**Why no original Cobalt modules like Sliders etc.?

**- Development focused on Cobalt core and main features. Same applies for the next major release v8!

Cobalts own "Records module" is template based. Which means it is more or less very versatile and a common basis for special needs. The display type and presentation is customizable and extendable via templates. (I guess, there will be no separate modules from MintJoomla for each and every display style or content type)

That does not mean, it can´t be done on a single and different module basis e.g.:

• SpiralScripts released their first Cobalt content module. And separate Slider/Slideshow based modules are annouced! Please, ask "Fiona" for the current status.

• Rocketthemes - RokSprockets:

As far as i know, RT announced to implement a Cobalt content adapter for RokSprocket module. Don´t know the current status. Please, ask them!

**So, how to improve Cobalt 3rd-Party support?!

enjoy Cobalt... and spread the word!

pepperstreet VIP
14 Nov 2012 13:50

BTW, a good temp workaround for Content Sliders like your first example screenshot is JoomlaWorks FrontpageSlideShow. Yes, i know, it is not a full automated solution... but at least, it can be filled with images and can be linked and connected to Cobalt articles as well. If your Slides does not need many frequent updates, maybe a good alternative.

Have fun!

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
15 Nov 2012 01:54

As far as i know, RT announced to implement a Cobalt content adapter for RokSprocket module. Don´t know the current status. Please, ask them!

Really? Can you find this?

pepperstreet VIP
15 Mar 2013 13:57

Heads-up:

Recently, NextEndWeb added Cobalt 7/8 support in there commercial Smart Slider:

http://www.nextendweb.com/smart-slider