20 Feb 2018 22:17

Hi there, I am experimenting with the free version of Cobalt 8 and using latest versions of Joomla and PHP in a local Windows 10 environment using XAMPP. The following problems have been found. Can anyone help please?

1) Pagination correctly shows a list of articles at the top of the page but the links do nothing when clicked. I had assumed that these were clicable links that would take the user to the correct record? ['List Elements' / 'Show Title Index' setting in Blog template]

2) The Blog Rating system is working fine - however the rating values cannot be edited by the user. Is this a feature?

3) Can the order of the fields on the blog submission page be changed or can they only be displayed in the order they were created.

4) Is it possible to restrict the amount of text displayed in the My Records list (in order to use with the 'Read More' button)?

5) Having set the function to display 'Read More', the text displayed in the front end is 'CREADMORE'. It is not obvious where this is set, or how to correct it.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards, Bob

Last Modified: 05 Mar 2018

Giorgi625 VIP
Total posts: 655
21 Feb 2018 09:13
  1. Yes users can not edit what they rate once.
  2. It can be changed in backend on fields list page just give fields needed ordering and it will show up same ordering in submission page.
  3. Yes. it depends on what field do you use. Textarea or HTML. in textarea field there is parameter "Limit text in the list". In HTML field there is parameter Maximum intro text length.
  4. you can just use joomla language override option and set on a place of "CREADMORE" your needed text

21 Feb 2018 14:37

Giorgi625 1. Yes users can not edit what they rate once. 2. It can be changed in backend on fields list page just give fields needed ordering and it will show up same ordering in submission page. 3. Yes. it depends on what field do you use. Textarea or HTML. in textarea field there is parameter "Limit text in the list". In HTML field there is parameter Maximum intro text length. 4. you can just use joomla language override option and set on a place of "CREADMORE" your needed text

Hi Georgi625, Many thanks for your help. Your answers were perfect thank you and have greatly helped me to learn Cobalt in conjunction with Joomla.

On the last point ('CREADMORE'), it might help others to be aware what I found. When I searched for 'CREADMORE'in the language overrides, it is important first to select a language - but for each language there are two options - SITE or ADMINISTRATOR; it is important to choose the admin and not the site. The second learning point was that having discovered that 'CREADMORE' is a CONSTANT and not a VALUE, no changes will get made unless you tick the box that says 'For both locations'. Not sure why, but if you do this it works and if you don't then it won't!

Thanks, Bob

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Mar 2018 13:38

2) users may edit rating if you set only authors can rate. it is a switch to oposite logic. All the other setings is when users rate your article, and when you set only author rate, means your article is a rating to another article.

So if you use coment type as cobalt for creating review system, then rating of other articles is counted as rating of article you review. And in this case user can edit his rating.

4) another way is to create 2 fields, one for intro and other for full view.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
05 Mar 2018 00:24

Sergey when you set only author rate, means your article is a rating to another article. So if you use coment type as cobalt for creating review system, then rating of other articles is counted as rating of article you review. And in this case user can edit his rating.

Finally I understand those settings ;) I never saw a use case or logical explanation. Thanks for the headsup! :)