05 Dec 2016 11:06

Hello all! I'd searched your forums to see if anyone had asked about integration with AlphaUserPoints. That last topic was from three years ago, so I was hoping that perhaps some progress had been made in this area.\n\n We use AlphaUserPoints very heavily. In fact, it's a major retention system for our website. It allows our users to purchase raffle tickets using the points they receive by doing things on the website, like reading articles or posting on the forums. As a result, we don't really want to switch to a system that would hinder the thing that's helped us keep users for the past year. \n\n My question is more about whether or not any progress has been made on this integration and if it's still impossible as Sergey had suggested in that post from three years ago, or if newer updates have remedied this problem. I've done a lot of reading on Cobalt and Emerald, and our website really wants to take the next step in our growth and purchase your extensions, but the loss of AlphaUserPoints, or any points system that we could use for a raffling system and for partial or total payment of site merchandise would be, unfortunately, a big issue for us. \n\n\n\n Please let me know if there has been any progress in this area.

Last Modified: 19 Dec 2016

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
07 Dec 2016 05:39

I have not checked in AUP has new API or not. But I most certain that it would be possible to do the HARD way with some hardcode without using APU API.

If you request this integration I can do it for simbolic payment $50.

08 Dec 2016 18:52

Thank ou for responding!

When you say "hard way", do you mean by creating a points system within Cobalt itself, or a hard coded rule set for Cobalt that functions for AUP?

$50 is very reasonable, and when transition time comes, we would be more than happy to pay that.

Sergey
16 Dec 2016 05:27

By HARD I mean hardcoded non-elegant solutions.

I'll watch this topic. tell me whenever you are ready.

JesseHumphry
Total posts: 1
18 Dec 2016 07:19

I don't mean to be a nag. I would just like a bit more information about how the flow might work so that we know exactly what we're paying for.

So as it stands now, AUP uses .xml files that define the rules. The .xml denotes a function that, when triggered, gives points to the users. I think that I could say with some confidence that knowing the function that is initiated upon certain actions (reading articles, submitting articles, submitting forum posts, etc.) one would be able to write new rules for Cobalt without needing an actual integration, but I am no expert. I am not sure.

With the 'hardcoded' solution that you are suggesting, what would be your method for integrating (inelegantly) AUP to work with Cobalt?

Also, a side question, wouldn't a more elegant solution perhaps be to design a points system directly in Cobalt that would be able to take the place of AUP, import its data (as your forum does for Kunena) and be able to build off of that?

These are only questions. I'm reading up so much on Cobalt right now that I'm very curious to hear what some of your plans are and if you've thought about these possibilities or not.

Sergey
19 Dec 2016 06:18

This is complicated. AUP is not designed to work with something like Cobalt. In Cobalt you considr every new section as new Joomla component. So you should be able to have separate XML for every section. One setion does not use AUP at all, another section use different rules.

I think what I can do is just run direct queries to AUP DB and increas or decreas points on different CObalt events. Since it is a Cobalt events, I have controll over them. So I study how AUP stores point and I just add it to DB without calling AUP functions or without using AUP API.

Why I call it none-elegant and hardcoded? Because AUP might call different events, run differnt precedures when points are added. Thouth will not work with this integration.

JesseHumphry Also, a side question, wouldn't a more elegant solution perhaps be to design a points system directly in Cobalt that would be able to take the place of AUP, import its data (as your forum does for Kunena) and be able to build off of that?

I think answer is in previouse text. Even if there is Cobalt point storage and you migrate what is then? How you handle that wrom that point? Or even if you migrate, it will be migrated same hardcoded way because AUP will not me able to import it with its current architecture.