21 Jan 2014 08:37

Hi,

Can somebody clarifies this?

Currently we have submission section in Type where you need to select the user group. once you choose the user group, then users belonging to that user group can able to submit articles in that type.

Now within the same type, there is a tab called Emerald, where you have also this Adding article option. This is bit confusing me at present.

Can sombody clarifies me the difference between these two, especially when you use them.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
21 Jan 2014 10:55

I think the first option is to select which user group can generally submit and the Emerald option is for creating subscription restrictions for same group (if group A can generally submit then with Emerald option turned on they can submit but they must subscribe first). I guess...

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
22 Jan 2014 04:45

There are 2 basic approaches in restrictions.

1. Set access rights for different groups and on subscription move user to needed group.

2. Set access to user without changing actual user group.

I would chose second method unless you surely need to change user group. Emerald may restrict access to do things but user continue to be simple registered user.

My suggestion use Emerald settings for paid restrictions and use access level settings for logical restriction.

Sergey
22 Jan 2014 04:45

I guess...

Perfect guess!

22 Jan 2014 06:10

Hi Sergey,

This is definitely a good way to do. But the problem sometimes is when you want certain people from emerald subscription to have the upgrade plan.

Here is the scenario:

You have two plans, free and paid

When user registers, I only want to allow them to register to Free Plan.

Once they register and have free plan, then I want to show them the paid plan by a menu link. The question is how you will do this within emerald plan without the use of user group.

When you create a menu link, you will show specific paid plan to spcific group. At this stage, how can you create a menu link based on emerald subscription plan. This is the reason I want to assign user groups to user when they subscribe plan.

I hope you understand what I mean to say.

Regards

Sergey
22 Jan 2014 07:09

The question is how you will do this within emerald plan without the use of user group.

You have to look at Emerald plans like user groups. Let's say you create not plan but user group with set of access. And user is in the groups when he purchase. User may be at the same time in few groups if other plans are still active.

The question is how you will do this within emerald plan without the use of user group.

When you create a menu link, you will show specific paid plan to spcific group. At this stage, how can you create a menu link based on emerald subscription plan. This is the reason I want to assign user groups to user when they subscribe plan.

If you want to manage visibility of some menu elements, then yes, change groups is the way to go.

But again if you look at Emerald from the different prospective like I have mentioned above, you may change your mind to create different menu elements for different users. You may create one element for all users where user will decide which plan to purchase or in other words what group to join (without changing actual Joomla group)