06 Dec 2013 04:45

hi i'm trying to o two simples things i have done with others : i want two column and i want that the pic for the content type i have defined were to the left .... it's seems it is not so obvious with coblad who can help me thanks

Last Modified: 12 Sep 2021

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
06 Dec 2013 09:11

I hope I understand...you have a content type and in it you have a image field. If that's the case you can open image field and look for Field class. You enter what you want (ex. image). Then you add class .image in your css file and float:left. That's one option. You can also create custom template http://www.mintjoomla.com/community/knowledge/user-item/43-sergey/114-how-to-customize-cobalt-templates.html

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
06 Dec 2013 15:30

klox7 is right…

You might also use pre-defined Bootstrap CSS classes in Cobalt field parameter. (Custom field class)

Try pull-left or pull-right.

pepperstreet VIP
06 Dec 2013 15:34

BTW, the additional Advanced template pack includes a special table template. It allows to select and position a certain field into the first column. (If you prefer a solution based on pure parameter configuration)

pepperstreet VIP
07 Dec 2013 07:56

seams more suitable for me can you tell me a bit more

In general, Cobalt template system and default templates are just a starting point. You can achieve a lot with the defaults (table, simple list, blog ). Those templates are meant to work with the automatic field output "loop". That, means, you can set field parameters, include/exclude certain fields, hide and show common article infos. Adding custom CSS classes. Layout and positioning CAN be altered through CSS. In other words, you have to have a basic CSS knowledge to do advanced things.

Hence, there is no "all-in-one-for-all-purposes" template with 101 pre-defined positions. (e.g. Seblod CCK) This is a totally different approach. With pros and cons!

Alternatively, you can buy and use advanced templates. i.e. Adv. pack or Business Dir template etc.

Such templates can have special config parameters, where you can select certain fields to display at certain positions.

My personal advice:

Definitely learn CSS! It's very crucial for any type of extension and Joomla site. Especially for a sitebuilder or if you are working as a one-man-show.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Dec 2013 08:47

FYI - Cobalt template parameters - Examples

Advanced Template pack - Advanced Table - Complete parameters:

As you can see... the Cobalt approach allows to build cutom templates with custom parameters.

i.e. gallery template with selectbox that shows fields of type "image" only etc.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Dec 2013 11:14

i know the css but with cobalt the question is where to put them...

See Cobalt homepage knowledge area or docs.mintjoomla.com (NEW)

See template article #4 and #5

This explains the different types of templates, their locations and the location of accompanying files like CSS, JS etc.

Actually pretty easy: The accompanying files have to use the same filename. So, additional files are recognized and loaded automatically!

Apart from that, you could always add CSS to your main template.CSS or a special custom.CSS file.

i have a site with flexicontent and in less half/ hour i founded the css files and could change the position of the pic put 2 col etc..

Yes, it really depends... All CCK type extension have their own way to manage those things. The template positions is a cool part of FlexiContent. Similar to ZOO positions.

i have a site with flexicontent and in less half/ hour i founded the css files and could change the position of the pic put 2 col etc..

Cobalt seems more powerfull but also more difficult to understand... it more like seblod.

Yes, Cobalt has its own structure and logic, but it is very close to J! paradigms, IMHO. I mean, it does not use difficult or new terms.

Seblod is very special: Deep J! integration and dependency can be a pro and con. The unique extension of core content and other components is a cool feature... but it also lacks typical directory-style features. And you can mess-up your installation and DB very quickly. Some features work only with certain storage options... The "Seb-One" 42 position template is nice for quick setups and especially custom layouts for submission forms. On the other hand, it adds a heap of extra DIVs and classes.

PS: I think Cobalt (and the predecessor ME Resources) always had the best search and filter capabilities. And it was always multi-lingual.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
09 Dec 2013 08:29

i know the css but with cobalt the question is where to put them..i have a site with flexicontent and in less half/ hour i founded the css files and could change the position of the pic put 2 col etc.. Cobalt seems more powerfull but also more difficult to understand ..it more like seblod.

I tried Fabrik and SEBlod before Cobalt. I'm not a programmer although i understand its logic since i have programming basics, but i'm quite familiar with html and css.

From my point of view, Fabrik is the most complex to understand from a person like me, next comes Seblod and then Cobalt. That's why i chose Cobalt, the interface is more friendly to non-programmers (let's call it enthusiasts) and way easier to understand how it works. Perhaps all the others allow other functionalities (like conditional fields) but you will always need more help from their support/forum.

As for tools, i use Firebug, Notepad++ and Windows Grep. Firebug can tell you where the css file is and u can edit it. If you can't find it... use windows grep to locate specific text on files.