10 Oct 2013 13:57

I've brought up a similar issue before, but can I remove filters when people navigate away from my Cobalt application?

Here is the problem. I have a directory made in Cobalt for a university. Lets say you look for someone in the Astronomy category with last name of 'Smith'. You find them and then navigate around the site to other pages not part of the Cobalt directory. 20 minutes later after browsing the site you go back to the directory to look for 'Johnson' in the Math category. The old filters are still in place. My users are complaining that filters are being remembers when they shouldn't.

Thanks for any advice.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Oct 2013 20:51

20 minutes later after browsing the site you go back to the directory to look for 'Johnson' in the Math category. The old filters are still in place...

Personally, I like this sticky filter behavior. I really hate to re-enter every search option.

What do you mean by "navigating away"?

A big difference how people browse a complex site...

Novice people tend to use the browser prev/next buttons, often a big mistake if forms are displayed and not memorized etc.

If people use the correct main site navigation, they might click on the directory menu item again... in this the case? Then you might append a "reset all filters" on the main directory menu item. Create an external-URL menuitem for this purpose. I think this was already mentioned in your other topic?! ... Or do I miss something?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Oct 2013 01:28

But there is no problem to click cross and close that filter right?

Unfortunately this behavior cannot be changed. Filters are based on session state. That would be hard to detect if user navigate away or just open from full article view and then goes back.