02 Oct 2013 02:11

I have two upcoming projects where I would like to use Cobalt. Both of them require a field in the directory listing where the person clicks on a button/link and a contact form is shown which can be populated with a number of fields. This allows the person to make contact with the listing owner (for example) giving details like Name, Interest, Question etc.

This could even be used for a basic "booking" situation.

I know that such fields are available for other cck / directory components like zoo and sobi. Is such a field available ? Or is there a way of implementing this in Cobalt?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
02 Oct 2013 05:53

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 Oct 2013 06:58

A.) Mail field is the first option and typical choice. You can also add some simple form fields to it.

B.) Alternatively, you might use Cobalt Type as Comment. This is a commercial add-on, ut gives the full set and power of Cobalt's fields.

C.) Even Relation field with Parent/Child is a special solution. Depends on your requirements, workflow and usage.

02 Oct 2013 12:43

Thank you for your suggestions.

A) The mail field seems to be ok but it seems it does not allow for more complex forms (dropdowns, radio buttons)

B) Cobalt Type as comment - what if the listing also requires a normal comment - in addition to the "contact" button, and what if I don't want the actual feedback displayed, that must be only be emailed to the respective listing owner?

C) Relation field might be possible - but when the person fills in the information in the child - will it grab information from the parent into the form? eg :

What I was thinking was more along the lines of :

1) Create a directory with type, section etc.

2) Create another type for the "form" (tick boxes, textareas etc)

In the listing entry (on the frontend) have a button link as a "field" in type1. In the listing:

when a person clicks on this it opens a new page (preferably a popup), which then feeds information from the current listing (eg: name of listing + contact email name) into type 2, which are then displayed in this form and used to send information from (name of listing, details of form) to the owner of the listing

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 Oct 2013 15:11

A) The mail field seems to be ok but it seems it does not allow for more complex forms (dropdowns, radio buttons)

You can extend the basic contact form.

Here are some screenshots of the specific Mail field parameters in Cobalt 8

(apart from the basic and common Cobalt field options)

B) Cobalt Type as comment - what if the listing also requires a normal comment - in addition to the "contact" button, and what if I don't want the actual feedback displayed, that must be only be emailed to the respective listing owner?

I see. You can only have and use 1 type of comments. AFAIK, email notification is not a direct mail like in mail field. Everything is handled by Cobalt's notification system and mails are sent via CRON job. The notification email does not send the actual content, it is a generic text/digest with events summary. See this topic for details.

C) Relation field might be possible - but when the person fills in the information in the child - will it grab information from the parent into the form?

I think all solutions require more or less custom-code and template work to get certain fields and information from the "parent/type". Currently not as config parameters... but everything is possible through templates, IMHO.

BTW, maybe a good idea for Mail field to support [PLACEHOLDERS] like in composite article title, i thought that was already implememted ;-)