24 Sep 2013 08:18

Hi,

To replicate:

I set a marker, and then 'address from marker' and it populates field address data.

I then move marker to another country, and hit Save.

Then in the record, the two locations are stored and they are very different places.

Thanks,.

D.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 Sep 2013 06:49

This field cannot save 2 locations. There is something wrong. Could you provide admin access to your site in private text block.

25 Sep 2013 07:23

Hi,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear ... only one location record is saved, but there is a mis-match between the address fields and latitude and longitude fields.

Here's what is saved ...

Ta.

D.

25 Sep 2013 07:47

I suppose this will also happen this way too:

a) Enter address

b) "Get Marker from address"

c) Change address fields manually, then save.

Ta.

D.

Sergey
26 Sep 2013 01:20

There is no automatic connection between address and marker. If you changed the address you have to click Marker form address and vice versa if you change marker position you have to click address from marker if you want those 2 mutch. You will have to do it every time you change something.

26 Sep 2013 03:04

If the marker is moved, could the "Address from Marker" automatically be called?

If a field in address is changed could "Marker from Address" be automatically called?

I'm a big fan of clean data, and having one record with mis-match of information not good.

So if above is not possible, I would probably have to only allow a marker and then get address information from lat,long later.

Thanks.

D.

Sergey
27 Sep 2013 05:56

If the marker is moved, could the "Address from Marker" automatically be called?

You can do it by customizing output template but there is no such a functionality. Why? because in most cases marker by address does not place marker exactly where you would like it to be. And small adjustment move would destroy the address.

If a field in address is changed could "Marker from Address" be automatically called?

No. The same reason.

27 Sep 2013 06:18

Thanks Sergey for reply, it is appreciated.

I'm not sure really what I can do about this apart from only have 'marker' or only have 'address fields' to ensure that a mismatch doesn't occur.

Thanks anyways,

D.

Sergey
27 Sep 2013 07:07

There is no mismatch. because use теук marker and address. booth are entered by user, thus you do not care.

It is only matter of how user enter the data.

27 Sep 2013 10:58

Yes, I understand what you mean, but I do care!!! ;-)))

My users can search for records by an address OR lat/long.

If the two bits of data are very different for a single record (say 1000's on miles away between address and marker), then the searches of both types will yield very different results.

I hope I explain OK.

D.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
27 Sep 2013 12:00

booth are entered by user, thus you do not care.

It is only matter of how user enter the data.

In general i like the possibility to enter two different sets of information. But as always, it depends on use case and application. i.e. i like to have exact address text fields PLUS a very loose map location. Helpful, if you need to show different details to different user groups. So, in this special case, i would like to HIDE the buttons completely.

On the other hand, I understand the most typical use:

Address is in total sync with Gmap location.

Since there multiple ways to input the data, a mismatch is very likely!

**Thoughts: **

Maybe different modes can be added?

A.) No interactive map marker: Just enter address in text field. Optional buttons to turn address into long/lat.

B.) Interactive map only? (display text fields, but don't allow inputs? Maybe "unlock" text input with a special button?

Maybe the order of current display and input is not optimal (for DAU's): - If i fill out the form... from top to bottom... I tend to enter the address in the text fields first! - then i recognize the buttons... ah, i can press something here... - maybe try it out at once... oops, got the default marker location... - after that, and in the last step! I notice the interactivity of the map. (If anyway!) - then I try to click around... try one of the buttons (or even not) - look at my address text fields... and keep the info (if not altered in the previous steps)

Conclusion:

The user must be guided. Either with less options: Only one way of entering the data, or by optimizing the layout and a clear step-by-step order.

In regards of this topic:

What about hiding the complete interactive map area...

at least restrict the drag-and-drop feature? Just display the map for visual reference.

Only the buttons are active and usable. This restricts the input on 1 way.

BTW, i tested the lastest version of geo field, and it was not possible to configure the display and submission in this direction. Bug? (i opened a new topic)

29 Sep 2013 05:32

Yes pepperstreet. Thankyou for post. You said all that much better than I could ever have done.

29 Sep 2013 05:39

I'm wondering if one possible solution to 'lessen' the mismatch is to only allow the user to 'fine tune' the position of the marker to say a configurable limit, e.g. 500m?

Ta.

D.

Sergey
30 Sep 2013 02:05

I am not sure what is the best way. But I am sure you can easily add ability to interactively change marker position on adres enter and vise versa. Just add few jQuery lines in field input template.

04 Oct 2013 10:43

But this is not good?

"If the marker is moved, could the "Address from Marker" automatically be called?"

"You can do it by customizing output template but there is no such a functionality. Why? because in most cases marker by address does not place marker exactly where you would like it to be. And small adjustment move would destroy the address. "

Ta.

D.