• Home
  • Support
  • Forum
  • Cobalt 8
  • Can anybody suggest any way so that user can upload their avatar/logo and that avatar can be shown on cobalt records.

03 Sep 2013 06:23

Can anybody suggest any way so that user can upload their avatar/logo during registration process and that avatar can be shown on cobalt records.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
03 Sep 2013 08:59

In fact Cobalt uses gravatar system with is used by GitHub, Stackoverflow and other giants. You can edit profile template and place gravatar there and link to update avatar to gravatar site.

The other way is only install CB or JomSocial.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Sep 2013 12:49

Joomla core? Maybe it makes sense to extend the build-in User Profile plugin?!

But jForm fields are limited to image selection from folder and media field which shows the media-manager. For sure, this does not give enough "privacy" or separate user-folders. Each user should only see his own folder and upload his own file(s). So, it might require a special image-upload and resize solution. Maybe other extension have examples for this task...

Here are some resources & ideas:

There is also a core "Contact Creator Plugin", which may open other possibilities in the future. Why not auto-create and use J! contacts as profiles etc. I have read about J! 3.2 comes with extended frontend edit features... so why not editable contacts.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
06 Nov 2013 18:59

Have a look at http://www.easy-profile.com

There are some issues with Emerald though :(

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
06 Nov 2013 19:20

There are some issues with Emerald though

@Sergey

There is an issue and complaint about Emerald and the SocialConnect feature... what do you think?

Jeff VIP
06 Nov 2013 21:37

@pepperstreet

I wanted users to be able to upload profile pictures AND login/register with their social media account. You can of course achieve this by installing CB or Jomsocial, but I don't need their complete ecosystem, yet.

To incorporate avatars into other components (com_content,Cobalt, Komento, etc). EasyProfile has a setting to emulate Jomsocial. It works flawlessly with Komento but produces serious errors with Cobalt.

However, EasyProfile offers a content plugin where you can place tags like {user } or {user } anywhere. User avatars can be shown easily in Cobalt records by applying these tags.

Integration of user avatars and social login/registration are both working, but I still have issues with Emerald once a user purchases a plan. Users are logged out after purchasing a plan and a message appears telling an email address is missing.

Because of these issues I'm reluctant to use EasyProfile and Emerald together on a production site. Which is a darn shame, because I can't find another alternative with the same features and less overhead.

Jeff VIP
08 Nov 2013 04:30

Integration of user avatars and social login/registration are both working, but I still have issues with Emerald once a user purchases a plan.

Some of those issues

Jeff VIP
08 Nov 2013 05:04

Sergey

In fact Cobalt uses gravatar system with is used by GitHub, Stackoverflow and other giants.

Yes, I used it a long time ago and thought it was very convenient. However, since I realized that your Gravatar account actually is a WordPress account, I'm a bit less enthusiastic.

Why? Because it pollutes the amount of real WordPress users, hence smudging the global statistics of who uses which CMS. I have no doubt that WordPress has the most users worldwide, but because of this lock in, it feels a bit like cheating.

But I have to admit, Gravatar is/was a very smart initiative by connecting your email address with your avatar. I wonder how many websites support Gravatar and how many support social media authentication.