29 Jul 2013 09:53

Greetings,

Testing some things out of boredom, I have discovered the absolutely amazing Cobalt 8 extenstion, and even better, the forum module for it. This thing is flipping awesome, just in case you didn't already know.

Here's the thing, my site, Legends of Nor'Ova (which I won't link in case it's not allowed), is currently running on Drupal 7, and makes use of Advanced Forum. The site's main deal is being a post-to-play RPG community, and I used Drupal's CCK tools to make a character profile, which I have members link to their signatures, so that whenever they post on the forum, other members can quickly check out their character profile if desired.

Now, the forum in Drupal 7 sucks compared to what you guys have made with Cobalt 8. Just playing with it makes me want to use it for my site. However I am having some issues that I hope you guys can help me with.

1.) Signatures on forums (and likely on any other form output and such for the forms I make using Cobalt 8). Can this be done? If so, how? I thought of trying to use Community Builder and making a signature field, but that brought me to problem #2....

2.) Is there any method of CB integration? My site needs are going to require a more robust member profile than what Joomla offers out of the box. Or better yet...

3.) Is there a method of making member profiles with Cobalt 8 that includes a field for signatures and uploaded avatars, and likely Alpha User Points integration and UddemIM (or any other PM) integration?

If these need to be split up into 3 separate questions, I'll do that. I thought thought that since they kind of tie in together, maybe it should be one post.

Anyway, I am super excited about this product of yours! It is really awesome stuff here. Where the heck has it been all my life?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Jul 2013 11:35

This thing is flipping awesome, just in case you didn't already know.

Thank you Travis

1.) Signatures on forums (and likely on any other form output and such for the forms I make using Cobalt 8). Can this be done? If so, how? I thought of trying to use Community Builder and making a signature field, but that brought me to problem #2....

Cobalt is based on templates. i think the best way just to add signature in template. As i understand it is not a signature that user setup in profile. It is standard profile summary snapshot.

You can very easily add it directly to Article, articles list or comment template.

2.) Is there any method of CB integration? My site needs are going to require a more robust member profile than what Joomla offers out of the box. Or better yet...

Right now we have only JomSocial integration. And only basic integration with CB. It means that Cobalt may show avatars from CB and show links to CB profiles. But it cannot show anything in profile unlike JomSocial has special app and may show as latest forum topics as other articles from cobalt.

3.) Is there a method of making member profiles with Cobalt 8 that includes a field for signatures and uploaded avatars, and likely Alpha User Points integration and UddemIM (or any other PM) integration?

JomSocial integration includes JomSocial PM. Forum has automatic integration with UddeIM. Just install it and you will see PM link under user avatar.

There is no integration with Alpha User Points, but JomSocial integration includes karma points integration of JomSocial including ability to increase or decrease it on different actions. Anyway I am sure if you contact Alpha User Points they may consider to make integration with Cobalt. There is an article that can explain how to do шею

http://docs.mintjoomla.com/en/cobalt/cobalt-events/

Anyway, I am super excited about this product of yours! It is really awesome stuff here. Where the heck has it been all my life?

First version under name JoomSuite Content we had released in 2007, 1 year before ZOO and 2 years before k2. :)

Welcome on board Travis. As a Cobalt user you will fly with Joomla first class.

29 Jul 2013 12:23

Thanks for your response!

Travis Randall

Cobalt is based on templates. i think the best way just to add signature in template. As i understand it is not a signature that user setup in profile. It is standard profile summary snapshot.

You can very easily add it directly to Article, articles list or comment template.

Actually I'm refering to signatures from member profile accounts that would automatically be added at the bottom of their posts and submissions.

I'll have to investigate all of this further of course, I've only had a day to play with it thus far. But what I have seen in that one day has been nothing short of amazing. I also understand that this isn't a "full forum" thing, but it has things in it that so far beat all the other forum offerings for Joomla that I've come across.

I'll have to look at JoomSocial as well. Been awhile since I looked at it. Back then it wasn't something I needed/wanted. Really all I need out of a member profile is avatar support, log in name, email address, contact methods, and signature. I am thinking that this would be something that could be filled with Cobalt as well, just might take some work and skill that I am currently lacking.

And thanks for the welcome!

Sergey
29 Jul 2013 13:17

What extension saves signature? You still may render it in templates. This is simple part. You tell me where it is stored and I'll tell you example code how to display it.

29 Jul 2013 13:29

I imagine that would depend on the profiler used.

For example, the default joomla profiler doesn't have signature support. For CB, I made a field for signature support - it is something I did way back when during the last time I used Joomla heavily ( Fireboard, J 1 and 1.5 days).

So I am not sure how this would be handled. I looked in JED for an extention dealing with member signatures, but came up empty.

29 Jul 2013 13:34

I should add that signature support isn't that huge of a requirement. It is just something nice to have. It is nice to have a spot that members can link their character profiles to that would show up automatically for ease of finding their characters. But I can live without it :).

Sergey
29 Jul 2013 13:34

No, CB field is good. It is enough.

Unfortunately I do not know how CB keeps user data. In Joomla 3 therу is special table called user_profile. I do not know if they use this or own table. Anyway it is not hard to get signature and place it under every comment or article.

I'll instruct you as you approach this state.

30 Jul 2013 10:35

I'm not sure about CB field. I can tell that it gets the base information from the default profiler. But extra fiels like "signature" do not share with the default profiler, as far as I can tell.

I am ready for your instruction whenever you are ready to give it good sir :).

Sergey
31 Jul 2013 01:03

Can you check your DB of CB tables and find where signature is stored?

31 Jul 2013 06:13

Signature is stored in #_comprofiler

Everything is stored in #_comprofiler except the main profile stuff (name, lastvisitDate, registerDate, username, email, password, params: that stuff is in #_users)

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
31 Jul 2013 09:36

Alternative (weird) idea: Add and use a Cobalt HTML field + CB Content Bot/Plugin. Use CB substitution syntax to place your profile data.

http://www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

(Content Bot/Plugin belongs to CB PRO Incubator Projects, the Content Module version is also in CB ADVANCED)

Sergey
01 Aug 2013 02:06

Then in template add

$db = JFactory::getDbo();

$db->setQuery('SELECT signature FROM #__comprofiler WHERE user_id = '.$item->user_id)

echo $db->loadResult();

Something like this. Of course query is not exact I do not know in what column and in what form it is stored.

Alternative (weird) idea: Add and use a Cobalt HTML field + CB Content Bot/Plugin. Use CB substitution syntax to place your profile data.

http://www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

Then you may use simple text field. It also goes through content prepare.

01 Aug 2013 08:14

OK, I just want to make certain I understand this right before I mess something up.

I can pretty much take that code, and for example, go to /components/com_cobalt/views/record/tmpl/default_record_forum.php and paste that in there at the end of the file? Of course with putting in where the signature field is stored?

Info on Signature Field:

Field ID: 54

Name: cb_signature

Table Columns: cb_signature

Table: #__comprofiler

Title: Signature

Sergey
02 Aug 2013 08:10

Yes this is correct.

Not exactly at the end of the file may be somewhere right under article text finishes.

Not exactly this code. You have to ensure the SQL is correct. As far as SQL return user signature, it is correct.

You can also read this article or templates concept.

http://docs.mintjoomla.com/en/cobalt/custom-templates-general/

02 Aug 2013 11:09

Awesome! I'll play around with this as soon as I have a free moment (at work right now) and then I'll let you know my results.

Thanks for the awesome support and being well, awesome Sergey.