26 Jul 2013 13:59

I am using the filter module as the main search for cobalt. I have a parent category with many children. When the parent category is selected in the filter I want all of the children records to appear, however I can't make this happen.

Here are my current settings.

In the Section I have it set to this

In the parent category I tried switching from 'Inherit' to this.

However the records only show up if you navigate to the specific child category, nothing shows up under the parent category.

I have also tried running the re-index tool, but that doesn't change anything.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Jul 2013 02:47

I am using the filter module as the main search for cobalt. I have a parent category with many children. When the parent category is selected in the filter I want all of the children records to appear, however I can't make this happen.

This is possible only when you browse category. When you navigate to it from category index. This is where Records mode is applied.

But when you use category as filter, it finds records only in particular category you navigated to but not the one you selected in filters.

In other words, category filter make sense only if Filter mode is though whole section.

29 Jul 2013 14:02

I see. Thanks for the reply. I will need to try and figure out another way to do my Search.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
29 Jul 2013 16:25

Not sure if I got the whole idea...

All your articles are in the parent-category, too?

This parent category is one of many parent categories? Or is there one root section?

31 Jul 2013 13:49

I have a section called 'Directory' with categoroies that make up the different departments. Ex. Biology, Physics, Math. However sometimes a category like 'Math' might have children categories like 'Tenured Faculy', Part-time faculty, etc...

The problem is then that if you select Math from the dropdown menu it doesn't show everyone in the sub-categories. It only shows the people select in the parent category of 'Math'. Multiple categories is one solution, but I can't rely on all my users to do this.