15 Jul 2013 11:26

Hi again,

I am using the Advanced Options in my directory. I have attached a picture to give a clear understanding of what I would like to do.

This is for a university which has Person Type(Student, Faculty, Staff) and many departments(Math, Physic, etc...).

If users select multiple filters I want the results to only match what they selected. Ex. Staff + Physics only brings back the Physics staff. However currently Staff + Physics will bring in ALL staff and ALL Physics entries. Is there a setting somewhere that I am not seeing? Also I read this great article by Sergey, but I don't think it helps this particular issue.

Thank you.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Jul 2013 13:43

Can you give more details about your planned category structure, content-types and content? I guess, your screenshot is a "mockup"? Or are you using a category-tree and assign multiple categories as "properties" to your staff?

15 Jul 2013 15:56

Sure pepper,

Each Person will be one of the following (Staff, Faculty, type of student). Then they can belong to a Department such as Math. I believe you said it correctly that each category is a property to a Person.

My problem happens if I want to find all Staff of Biology. Instead it brings all staff and all biology together. Maybe there is another way to approach this problem?

15 Jul 2013 16:14

I think I may be onto a better way to do this.

I'm making a dropdown field that has person type(Staff, Faculty, etc..) and making that field searchable/sortable. I think this will allow the distinction I need. Will report back.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Jul 2013 16:40

Depending on your final search behavior and wanted results, there are many different ways to set it up. One important thing to remember: Who does enter the information? Who is able to get and search the information. i.e. is type just a property or do you need a respective J! usergroup. Are there any viewing restrictions? Departments: Are they a simple property? Or does it need further information itself. etc. etc.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 Jul 2013 04:53

I understand what you want. You want AND instead of OR. Only records that in both categories.

I looked into the code. And it is not easy to change for categories filter.

I think you need to use field for that. In checkbox, listautocomple, multiselect - there is special parameter in the filter how to search.