16 May 2013 09:41

Hi,

I have installed today's Cobalt release and looks like the advanced search is not working properly. I wonder if this is only me or other people. When you click advanced search on records list page, and when you select any fields from left, nothing happens.

Thanks

Brian

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
16 May 2013 12:00

Brian,

here it is working as expected.

Try to check if you have some JS errors on your page.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
17 May 2013 06:58

DO you have filter module on the same age?

17 May 2013 14:02

yes, I have

Sergey
20 May 2013 00:02

Module does not work on the same page where advanced filters are loaded.

Sergey
20 May 2013 02:02

It also questionable if you need both. I think you either have module on the side or advanced search collapse.

I may agree that other extensions does not have errors but I have to mention that other extensions may not be of the same complexity and the same amount of JS usage.

20 May 2013 04:59

Sergey,

In most cases, you need both. I will tell you the reason why. In module you are not likely to show all filters as it does not look good from UI perspective. But in advanced search, you need all the fields.

Sergey
20 May 2013 05:39

It makes sense. But unfortunately I cannot change that now. That will involve refactoring too many JS scripts that may lead to make Cobalt unstable again.:(

20 May 2013 05:57

ya i understand that. you are right.

20 May 2013 08:07

Sergey, If I want to switch off advanced search (like I dont want to show), how can I do this?

Sergey
20 May 2013 08:09

Sergey, If I want to switch off advanced search (like I dont want to show), how can I do this?

In markup template parameters in section parameters.

20 May 2013 08:24

Sergey, Thanks. I am thinking of having a link on that advanced search, next to search text box, where people will be redirected to a separate page for advanced search options. Is it possible?

Sergey
20 May 2013 08:29

Yes. You can make a static Joomla page. Add menu link to that page. Add filter module to that page. And then make advanced search link to that page too.

You will probably need to create custom filter module template to show filters in few columns.

20 May 2013 08:34

ya that is a good idea. The only problem I have is showing in few columns. I have difficulty getting a person from joomlancer to do this job. None of them knows Cobalt very well. I am really struggling to do this piece of work myself :(. It could be very simple, but I am not getting anywhere.

20 May 2013 09:10

Hi Sergey,

Is there any way this can be integrated inside either module filter or advanced search. We probably need to have a config setting where you can enter number of columns and then it will output the results in number of columns. I am sure this will be a huge benefit to everybody.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
20 May 2013 09:18

Brian, i already used joomlancer, but to be honest.. i have been using freelancer.com and u can post projects there for free too and there are more developers. That's why i stopped using joomlancer

Sergey
21 May 2013 05:14

We probably need to have a config setting where you can enter number of columns and then it will output the results in number of columns. I am sure this will be a huge benefit to everybody.

In fact this is not really practical. The filters are in its own order and some may have 10 values other 20 values. And you never know. So even if we add columns parameter it will be unusable and column layout most of all will looks ugly. I think that explicit filter positioning is the best way to create custom layout.

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
21 May 2013 05:29

Hi Sergey,

Is there any way this can be integrated inside either module filter or advanced search. We probably need to have a config setting where you can enter number of columns and then it will output the results in number of columns. I am sure this will be a huge benefit to everybody.

yes would be usefull, there is a module very usefull for K2

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-extensions/19333 (see all good comments)

and config example : http://joomcar.net/description

the real estate website have many fiedls and current module filter does not fit

regards

21 May 2013 06:14

In fact this is not really practical. The filters are in its own order and some may have 10 values other 20 values. And you never know. So even if we add columns parameter it will be unusable and column layout most of all will looks ugly. I think that explicit filter positioning is the best way to create custom layout.

Sergey, I slightly disagree with you on this. It will be very much useful. Just imagine a situation where you need to use this filter as a search option on your home page. It will look very ugly when you have only one column for each row. The whole page will be looking very bad and it will be also a waste of all spaces in the page. Having that option is not any waste as you will have the flexibility of using this as a module with setting one column only in sidebar or use it in any page including home page with the option of setting the fields into number of columns which will be looking very nice.

For those who has many values like 10 values or 20 values, then they still have options whether to arrange all their values in multiple columns or in one column. Having this option is definitely a lot help and will also the most important thing is you can use this not only as a filter module, but also as a search option in any page you want.

I also think it is not a very big job for you to do. You need to change few lines of code in the filter template.

21 May 2013 06:21

I also think we should always think out of the box and also think how we can use any features in multiple occasion and multiple times if possible. By having this, it will benefit to everybody and usable in most cases.

Sergey
21 May 2013 06:22

I also think it is not a very big job for you to do. You need to change few lines of code in the filter template.

True.

But I do not see good way to do that. i stil think that custom template is only way to go if we are talking about beauty.