16 May 2013 04:46

I know this can be obtained by customizing the template,

but I think it should be a default styling

i think for the average internet user the search box is not so usable... it's just a text box, even if for me it's obvious that is a serach box I'm sure it's not obvious for everyone

also, there is no "send/search" button after the box... not for everyone it's obvious to click "enter" after typing some text to search

and given that this is not an ajax search automatically showing results, I think a "search" button (or a little icon) could make it more easy to understand

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

16 May 2013 04:48

BTW, maybe it's just my keyboard/browser... but sometimes when i type words with "b" in them the letters get substituted automatically by "bold" bbcode tags :O

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
16 May 2013 04:54

I know this can be obtained by customizing the template,

but I think it should be a default styling

i think for the average internet user the search box is not so usable... it's just a text box, even if for me it's obvious that is a serach box I'm sure it's not obvious for everyone

also, there is no "send/search" button after the box... not for everyone it's obvious to click "enter" after typing some text to search

and given that this is not an ajax search automatically showing results, I think a "search" button (or a little icon) could make it more easy to understand

totally agree

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
16 May 2013 11:24

Agree. I think, at least the "placeholder" was mentioned earlier in C7, and even in ME Resources topics. IMHO, should go into all default templates.

Since Cobalt is addicted on / related to bootstrap, it could easily display some searchbox variants. With/without attached button. Would be cool to have a template parameter ;-)

AJAX search on Cobalt search box:

Yes, would make Cobalt more complete! Even if it has to be limited to title or 1-3 fields.

(BTW, the global Joomla Search can be AJAXed with 3rdParty modules. Should also work with Cobalt Search Plugin. I do miss a section or type restriction in the plugin parameters. I think it was possible in ME Resources)

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
16 May 2013 14:57

Agree, voted! ("search" text inside the input and search button after it)

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
17 May 2013 03:26

I think, at least the "placeholder" was mentioned earlier in C7

Correct ... here

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
17 May 2013 07:44

I have inserted placeholder HTML attribute. But note it does not work everywhere in all browsers.

http://caniuse.com/input-placeholder

17 May 2013 07:49

maybe to add also a button with a hand lens icon after the search box would make more clear what the search box is for... and I think that would be visible in all browsers

Sergey
17 May 2013 07:56

maybe to add also a button with a hand lens icon after the search box would make more clear what the search box is for... and I think that would be visible in all browsers

Every pixel is important there. To pack all features into single toolbar was not easy although it loks obvious it took a lot of thinking. There is in fact no place for useless button.

17 May 2013 07:59

I perfectly understand your point Sergey, still I think that that search box is not easy understandable for the average user today, and also the fact that he has to click "enter" to start the search is not so obvious

I deal with average users (my clients) all the day, so I know what I am talking about ;-)

17 May 2013 08:01

BTW I always can see the "smart thinking" behind every single feature in Cobalt, I never wanted to diminish the great work you have done :D

Sergey
17 May 2013 08:20

I never wanted to diminish the great work you have done

It is not offense or something like that. I understand your point. I think that Search... placeholder will add some usability. I can also add lens icon as background of search box at the end of the box. But not clickable. Just icon to understand it is a search.

pepperstreet VIP
17 May 2013 18:43

Every pixel is important there. To pack all features into single toolbar was not easy although it loks obvious it took a lot of thinking. There is in fact no place for useless button.

I would suggest to minify the toolbar even more... e.g. EasyDiscuss by StackIdeas. Just icons with Tooltips ;-) and self-explanatory, IMHO.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
17 May 2013 19:58

The beauty of Cobalt is the way it handles templates. Instead of using an existing "design" and trying to please everyone with 1 single solution (which will never happen), why not coming out with alternatives?

One area where Cobalt seems to have shortages is the 3rd party support.

The default templates might not always fit perfectly to the chosen template. It would be nice to see more community driven enhancements for Cobalt.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
17 May 2013 22:34

Hi Sergey,

I found a very slick search module:

http://master.demo.offlajn.com/demo.html#universal_ajaxlivesearch

Maybe you could create an optimized plugin in order to support Cobalt images and custom fields?

Best Regards,

Jeff

Sergey
19 May 2013 23:57

Maybe you could create an optimized plugin in order to support Cobalt images and custom fields?

I think this have to be done on their side :)

Jeff VIP
20 May 2013 03:12

Sergey

I think this have to be done on their side :)

Ok. I will contact them.

It works with any standard Joomla search plugin, so it works already with the Cobalt search plugin :)

I just thought it would be nice to show images in the search results.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Sergey
20 May 2013 05:40

I just thought it would be nice to show images in the search results.

If you find out that this should be done on our side let em know. May be we have to extend our plugin.

Sergey
20 May 2013 23:52

BTW, the search plugin has no options like in ME Resources

Partially fixed.

pepperstreet VIP
21 May 2013 09:36

If you find out that this should be done on our side let em know. May be we have to extend our plugin.

AFAIK, they took the original search plugins... and extended them to provide at least 1 image. I guess, its much easier with a component like K2, because it has build-in images and sizes. Maybe they need help with a real CCK and separate image fields?!

Jeff VIP
21 May 2013 09:58

I received a reply from Offlajn:

Does the cobalt has an own search plugin?

If yes, and if you could provide me a test site I can check how many effort to improve that plugin to can show images, after the purchase.

I will set up a test site tomorrow and wait for their response.

@Sergey: I hope you don't mind that I told them you are willing to provide them extra info if needed, Sergey :)