18 Apr 2013 03:23

Hi.

I continue with my adventure, building a site to manage courses with joomla/cobalt. For now everything is going ok, however the backend and the fronted don't seem to agree about categories.

I have managed, up to now, the categories in the backend, and it works ok, the categories are listed in the list index (I am using the 3 columns/grid mode) and I can select which category a given node is going into when I am creating a new node.

However, I enabled a couple of days ago the hability for users to submit categories via the frontend, so that when I click "My Menu" in the frontend I can see the Categories option.

The first thing I noticed is that in the menu, next to the Categories element, there's the number of categories in the current section, and that's zero! But I am sure there are lots of categories created...

Anyway, if I try to create a new category in the frontend, I can't see it later in the list index, and I can't see it either in the backend (I have no idea where it's going...).

I can't select it when creating a new node either. Is there something in the section settings that needs to be configured so that the categories created in the frontend are submitted to the right place?

Thanks for any help :)

PS: It just occurred to me that... it might be a silly question but, I might not have gotten right the thing about "categories vs. user categories". Are "user categories" a different thing? What I want to know is if users can, somehow, create and delete categories in a given section, like the admin does in the backend...

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
18 Apr 2013 11:03

OK :) I see.

User categories have nothing to do with section categories. It is completely different area. This is used for sections with personalization ON. User have his own homepage withing the section and user can store his records arranging them by categories. It is alibaba.com scenario. Use add product to global category structure and at the same time to hos own category structure so later if any one go to his homepage, one get to user mini site. And can navigate throu products of this user by user categories. At the same time the same products could be found in global section category structure.