08 Apr 2013 02:23

Hi Sergey,

is it possible to filter records by day, month and year?

For example:

• Display all records made on Friday

• Display all records made in August

• Display all records made in 2012

In terms of usability, date search/filtering should be as simple as possible. Although Cobalt 8 provides one of the most comprehensive date (range) filtering, the process involves too many clicks and is limited to calendar selections only.

A solution (I guess) would be to enhance the current date field and choose to add filters by day, month and/or year.

Right now it is possible to select a date in record or list view, but the results are limited to the exact date. Selecting day month and year separately, would be more interesting for data mining purposes.

Another solution would be to enhance the Alpha Index and add seperate bars for days(monday-sunday), months (jan-dec) and years (range)

Best regards,

Jeff

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
08 Apr 2013 02:49

Jeff, we are working on calendar list template. This template wil be added to date and time field as map template added to geo field. This is out demo of bootstrap-calendar component that we are working on.

http://bootstrap-calendar.azurewebsites.net/

I am not sure when but finally we will have this as records list template and it will give ability to show by year, month, week, day and later even timeline.

Do you think it will give you what you need?

08 Apr 2013 09:18

oh wow, I surely like this new development.

But it's not what I'm looking for at the moment. :S

I'm building an application where people can report events shown on a map. Each event has a date and time. I want to show the correlation between events and the day or month or year they occur in:

• Do certain events happen more on a specific day, eg Friday, regardless of the year or month?

• Which month (regardless of year) has events with specific criteria?

Although I'm working with dates, I'm not looking for calendar functionality.

Example

In a record view the following date is shown: 12:00 PM, Friday, 28 December 2012

Wouldn't it be great if after clicking on Friday, all events that happened on a Friday (regardless of year!) are shown?

Or clicking on December and all records are shown that happened in December? (regardless of year!)

The same with year or perhaps even time?

At the moment I can only use the whole date as a filter, but I am not interested in records happening on exactly on the same date...

Do you understand what I mean?

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
08 Apr 2013 11:16

Now i understand. This sounds interesting. And I think it will be possible after we finish our calendar template. Why? Because this template will create special ajax interface to get articles based on start and end (from-to) dates. We will not be able to create what you need without this interface anyway,

On the other hand map template already using Ajax to load markers and I think with little of modification your task may be accomplished as temporary hack. But that is custom development.

08 Apr 2013 20:58

Hi Sergey,

I want to start praising you for responding quickly to any questions I have on this forum. :)

Because of that I have become a paid member and might start using Cobalt for more projects in the future. Without proper developer support people get stuck in their creation process and might feel ignored. So, big thumbs up, Sergey!

Can I suggest one more thing about my date filtering request?

What about creating a concatenate field, where you can put different field values together and save it as a new field.

I then might be able to store separate time, day, month and year field as one date. It doesn't solve the weekday request, but I'll just have to trust you'll have a solution for that in time.

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
09 Apr 2013 05:42

So, big thumbs up, Sergey!

Thank you. I am trying to do my best.

Because of that I have become a paid member

And I greatly appreciate that :)

but I'll just have to trust you'll have a solution for that in time.

This is dangerous trust.:)

I know for sure that nothing regarding this will be released nearest 2 month. Cobalt 8 is about to get stable flag. And now we want to concentrate on Emerald update to Joomla 3.0. But since Emerald did not get any new feature almost for 4 years, we want to load it with new features. We are refactoring UI and many other things. So Cobalt is a little bit in idle stage now. Of course we fix and ad update it weekly but not many changes are there.

but I'll just have to trust you'll have a solution for that in time.

What about creating a concatenate field,

We have a long list of new fields and new ideas for Cobalt. This one is also very goo but partially it is already in the list. We want to do something like that but not exactly. And as I have mentioned earlier we do not have time to do all of it nearest time. What I mean that most probably something like that will be created but not soon. :)

09 Apr 2013 08:31

And now we want to concentrate on Emerald update to Joomla 3.0

No worries Sergey,

I also need Emerald for J3.0, so your priorities are in sync with mine.:)

I've discovered in your Knowledgebase this article: How to create pre filtered links . I might be able to create my own date filter bar with pre filtered links, although I haven't managed to produce any results yet. It takes some time for me to understand the correct syntax to use.

Keep up the good work, Sergey

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
10 Apr 2013 02:32

've discovered in your Knowledgebase this article: How to create pre filtered links . I might be able to create my own date filter bar with pre filtered links, although I haven't managed to produce any results yet. It takes some time for me to understand the correct syntax to use.

Unfortunately in this case it is not this easy. You can do that by creating special filter template for date field where you will create special links as start and end date. Ther was a problem in filter in date field because it uses template parameter to analyze how to filter. Now I changed everything an it uses data structure to detect what is the way of filtering. So after next update on Thursday you will be able to add

&filter_val[0][range]=datestart,dateend

This URL parameter will initiate range filter even if filter template is different. So anywhere in template you may add this links.

14 Apr 2013 05:29

So after next update on Thursday you will be able to add

&filter_val[0][range]=datestart,dateend So after next update on Thursday you will be able to add

&filter_val[0][range]=datestart,dateend

Sounds good!

Best Regards,

Jeff

Sergey
14 Apr 2013 22:43

Did you try? Should work with latest update. I need your feedback.

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
15 Apr 2013 08:42

Hi Sergey,

I have tried this:

http://mysite.com/index.php?option=com_cobalt& ;task=records.filter&filter_name[0]=filter_3&filter_val[0][range]=2008-01-01+00%3A00%3A00,2013-01-01+00%3A00%3A00&section_id=1&Itemid=107

but it returned an error page:

http://mysite.com/index.php?option=com_cobalt& ;task=records.filter&filter_name[0]=filter_3&filter_val[0][range]=2008-01-01+00%3A00%3A00,2013-01-01+00%3A00%3A00&section_id=1&Itemid=107

The requested page cannot be found.

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site and report the error below.

0 DateTime::__construct() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
15 Apr 2013 09:11

Yes, I see. I had made a fix. Can you wait till Thursday?

Jeff VIP
15 Apr 2013 10:07

Yes I can :)

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Apr 2013 19:05

we are working on calendar list template. This template wil be added to date and time field as map template added to geo field. This is out demo of bootstrap-calendar component that we are working on.

:-) I like Jeff's idea showing ALL MONDAYS, ALL FRIDAYS etc.

My personal idea and use case would be timetables. e.g. fitness center or church events etc.. Is it possible to create and show "time-tables"? Something like these:

Sergey
16 Apr 2013 06:52

This is possible with custom template and will be possible with calendar template we are working on.

Jeff VIP
16 Apr 2013 21:29

Exiting stuff!!

In addition I would like to create something like this:

Best regards,

Jeff

Sergey
16 Apr 2013 23:00

Hmm this is interesting. I think it will be possible to do with DAY calendar view.

Jeff VIP
21 Oct 2013 02:09

I meant

is it possible to filter records by day, month and year?

For example:

Display all records made on Friday

Display all records made in August

Display all records made in 2012

Or something like:

Display people who's birthday it is today

Sergey
21 Oct 2013 02:22

You need it in a module right? You do not answer my skype also.

Jeff VIP
21 Oct 2013 02:44

Sergey

You need it in a module right?

Right

Jeff VIP
21 Oct 2013 03:23

Sergey

You do not answer my skype also.

I am sorry for that.:S I've been off Skype for a while.

I have just replied you on Skype though... :)