27 Dec 2012 06:40

hi

please how can i have thumb in list view for each video uploaded ?

thank you

Last Modified: 29 May 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
27 Dec 2012 21:46

To get thumb from the video you have to have special software on the server with can decode and randomly save some frames.

The only way to do it now is to upload it along with video.

But our idea about video that it should not be uploaded. Only in very particular cases. а you stream video from your site you may dramatically slow down your site. So we suggest to use embed or links and host video on professional video hosting like youtube, vimeo, screencast, ...

If you want to upload and stream from your server you have to have nice servers, media server software, re-encoders online and so much more than simple upload.

andiamine VIP
Total posts: 295
31 Dec 2012 18:55

i need this feature :D

Sergey
02 Jan 2013 01:05

But how I can integrate to use one joomla extension to upload and cobalt to display? That is just create internal error in my brain :)

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 Jan 2013 16:42

how I can integrate to use one joomla extension to upload and cobalt to display?

Advanced Custom SQL Field ;-)

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
03 Jan 2013 11:46

I contacted Dave from Hwd media share, he think it is possible to have integration, it can discuss with you if you want

Sergey
03 Jan 2013 20:16

Yes I want. How do I contact him?

clowride VIP
04 Jan 2013 01:48

Hidden text

Sergey
04 Jan 2013 08:18

Ok

pepperstreet VIP
19 Jan 2013 06:45

What about a "fake" thumbnail or separate image upload. Should be possible with a custom template, an extra image field and CSS positioning... I see, this is a lot of manual work and no automatic thumbnail or poster-frame.

What about an advanced template... maybe a connection between video-upload field and a selectable image field. (comparable to parent/child parameters)

Sergey
19 Jan 2013 23:51

We are not oriented on upload method. As I have already mentioned it will require live conversion, streaming, thumb generation, ... It is whole new field to me. Right now upload method in video field just offer simple solution.

Unfortunately we do not plan to improve upload part of video field.

clowride VIP
20 Jan 2013 03:22

i think really later you should improve this field

I tested content builder (thanks thomas:) ) now their video field is simple like cobalt media field

but they are writing a new version with lot of new features

currently for my project i don't use media field but the hwd media share's success show the need of have such features in futur :) :) :)

pepperstreet VIP
27 Jan 2013 12:52

What about a "fake" thumbnail or separate image upload. Should be possible with a custom template, an extra image field and CSS positioning... I see, this is a lot of manual work and no automatic thumbnail or poster-frame.

What about an advanced template... maybe a connection between video-upload field and a selectable image field. (comparable to parent/child parameters)

AFAIK, JWplayer supports a poster frame (extra image, not directly taken from the video!). This image can be passed as a variable to the SWF object. Should be possible with a Cobalt image field.

Not sure about the HTML5 player. I guess, almost the same workaround, just different code.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Jan 2013 13:04

JWplayer info:

Poster image for Flash and HTML5 (extra image is used!)

Splash image (Flash only)

Interesting load times comparison with multiple players on one page.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Jan 2013 13:10

Poster or Splash image is just a simple background image, applied to DIV class .flowplayer

I guess, this can be easily extended with a unique CSS class or ID. Maybe the surrounding container or the player can get it via a custom output field template... So, you can have a certain image for each player.

pepperstreet VIP
28 Apr 2013 17:51

Besides my manual workaround with separate image upload...

What about a build-in option? I recently read about Drupal's Media module. As always, there are 2 dependent addon modules for VIMEO and YOUTUBE. The combination seems to add a field **formatter **option of type "rendered file". This results in a customizable preview image.

Maybe a good inspiration and resource for Cobalt video field?

Sergey
29 Apr 2013 01:15

There is not problems with youtube and vimeo. This problem only with video uploads method.

pepperstreet VIP
29 May 2015 00:56

Sergey There is not problems with youtube and vimeo. This problem only with video uploads method.

Ah, now I see. ;)

Related article - includes ffmpeg and vimeo/youtube API :