pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
01 Фев 2016 16:19

Hello, I assume the language handling and features won't change so much in next Cobalt release.

While browsing and watching this forum with mixed languages, I am missing a manual language filter. I assume the record's language info is set automatically on submission, right? If I follow a section I get many notifications and many items are in cyrilic/russion. Although it is a nice feature to mix and display many languages, it would be much easier to focus on a specific language in a mixed section list-view. Also very handy for mixed comments.

Examples / Current displays

Hard to focus on 1 language in mixed lists:

cob_sec_any_language_mixed_display

Hard to focus on 1 language in mixed list / with new events:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-01 um 17.07.07

No filter in Notifications center:

cob_notifications_center_filter

Последние изменения: 08 Фев 2016

Метки Cobalt 9

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
02 Фев 2016 08:19

Unfortunately the language they type in topics does not mean it is not English. It would be Russian if there is a switch to Russian laguane for whole site and then post topic while site in Russian language mode. Since we have only one language on the site, you may type Russian or Chineese it is still saved as English.

I can only add Cobalt field for users to chose what is language they use.

pepperstreet VIP
03 Фев 2016 00:01

Sergey It would be Russian if there is a switch to Russian laguane for whole site and then post topic while site in Russian language mode. Since we have only one language on the site, you may type Russian or Chineese it is still saved as English.

Ah, I see. Makes sense for a single language site. So no automatic language can be set during submission.

But if I setup a multi-language site AND have a mixed section it should work, right?
Joomla core Language select is available in submission -> tab Special Fields

I can only add Cobalt field for users to chose what is language they use.

Why not. At least this would help to set and save the correct language! But for a "single language" site it can't be the Joomla core language select. It is filled with "real" joomla languages only.
So, does it make sense to have a special Cobalt field then? Probably not, I could setup a simple-select and I would have to store and override the record's core language field. The Cobalt field would also allow to create a filter ;)

Further thoughts...
Wouldn't it be possible to detect the user's language by the browser? Then use this info to set a default in the language field? (the user might still change it, if he wants to)

FYI, Joomla seems to have two build-in solution for detection:

Sergey
03 Фев 2016 11:48

pepperstreet But if I setup a multi-language site AND have a mixed section it should work, right?

Joomla core Language select is available in submission -> tab Special Fields

Yes it should work. Kanguage selector is available and even if not, languagr is assigned automatically.

I think it might be simple select field.

pepperstreet VIP
03 Фев 2016 19:20

Sergey I can only add Cobalt field for users to chose what is language they use.

Not bad for this site and Cobalt Support forum.

However, even a regular multi-language site might also have a mixed-language section (e.g. forum, discussion, comments, reviews),
it would still need a language filter in advanced search. So users could hide unwanted languages.

Sergey
08 Фев 2016 02:29

That is right. Now I need to find time to add it.

Работает на Cobalt