pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 Июль 2013 19:02

I am still impressed by the filter and search capabilities in Cobalt, but is there any chance to update the total number of the filters/fields? I remember we talked about it in an older ME Resources or [6G] topic.

I opened this idea-topic, because of my last visit on Joomlart's K2 Search & Filter extension demo. Actually, I was never a big fan of K2, nor of the limited extra fields and 3rd-party search add-ons... they were all strange and tedious in entering data, and how to add the search on top of K2. Also the frontend display was more "searching" and "guessing".

But... the latest Joomlart update seems to improve the frontend display and filtering with "Dynamic Counting". As far as I know, the re-calculation is done on every Category change! See info in their blog post under #2.

• they also show total numbers for all fields
  • the total numbers are updated, recalculated (on Category changes)

Example screenshot:

UX drawback:

They always submit the whole form on each change, which slows down the viewing process.

(EDIT: latest JA K2 Filter supports AJAX!)

UX benefit:

It finally allows the total# update. Which is really neat and speeds up the search, IMHO. Especially useful for product catalogs, where visiters look for certain specs to quickly find a suitable product. (without knowing and browsing the whole range)

A.) What do you think?

Any chance to have something similar (optionally?). - Maybe for smaller sites and less complex data? - Maybe also on Category-filter changes only? Or expand the Joomlart/K2 logic to a certain Cobalt field i.e. Select, MultiSelect etc.

B.) Any other technical solution to update the total numbers without submitting a new search and DB queries? - Maybe on client-side and javascript? My weird designer-thought: Collect all initial total# in a temporary array/matrix... than recalculate only those values and update the total numbers on-the-fly.

Последние изменения: 02 Март 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Июль 2013 09:28

Bookmarked. Will come back to this when work on Cobalt 9.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Окт 2013 10:23

EDIT: Added screenshot and AJAX hint.

Работает на Cobalt