andmm
Total posts: 15
21 Июнь 2013 09:44

I'm thinking of purchasing the GEO map field and I'm not seeing anywhere if there's a get directions from adress sort of field.

Is this feature available?

If not, that would be a let down since that's a pretty big google map feature.

Thanks for the help

Последние изменения: 02 Март 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
21 Июнь 2013 18:43

André,

as of now, the directions is not (yet) part of the GEO field.

To get this feature into the field, the best would be to describe how you would like the integration (like using existing markers from the list template to define start and destination points, etc).

Sometimes a new feature will find its way into the fields very quick, sometimes it takes a little longer ... :D

andmm
22 Июнь 2013 08:19

I think ZOO does it pretty well. You just set the marker address (it even uses google's auto completion suggestions) and then on the full item view it show as a 'get direction from address' form field underneath the map where you can input the destination. It's simple, usefull and on my opinion what the geo field should be.

In this case I think less is more. There is a lot of clutter on that geo field parameters. It's not much of a address geo location form as is a contact form. I think those two things should be separated. Fields should be the basic element right? You can get all that contact information using other fields and have better control of that data on templates.

The perfect scenario would be just a address field that takes geo location data and display it on a map. All those other fields for telephone, city and whatnot just get in the way. And directions is a must for this kind of field.

I recommend taking a look on Zoo's implementation of maps, because currently I think it does a better job of geo field.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
22 Июнь 2013 18:42

There is a lot of clutter on that geo field parameters.

Agree. The parameter could be better organized, like an Address (with Address Input, Address Fields and Address Display), a Contact and a Links tab.

Now it looks overwhelming and some people might even be intimidated by the number of parameters. Default value for the 3 sections would be SHOW -> Nowhere and Who can enter address -> No one.

This would leave Map Input, Map Display and Info Window as the "core" parameter sections for the field.

There is a lot of clutter on that geo field parameters.

I think those two things should be separated. Fields should be the basic element right? You can get all that contact information using other fields and have better control of that data on templates.

Separated - yes but still within the same field, like explained above.

One of the advantages here with the Address part is, that it is linked to the Map through distinctive fields.

Lets assume you want to use different fields to store the address and a pure google maps field for the marker (with an address search) then you have to encode it 2 times. First to get the marker and then again to store the address information.

If you want the minimalistic google map field, just turn off address, links and contacts .. :D

See also this discussion about the address encoding here

Now for the "better control of that data on templates" i would not agree, since every single field information of the geo field (like street, website, city, skype, facebook, country etc) is available at the template level and can be placed anywhere you want. If you modify a template, there is no better control than this.

Now even the info window content can be defined by a template.

Don't forget that a list template with a lot of integrations (weather, cloud, panoramio, clusterer, heatmap etc) is part of that field as well. For me, this list template (with the option to include another list template and is fully controlled by the cobalt filter system) is worth the field alone.

Honestly, i am not aware of an overall better CCK google map integration for Joomla.

But back to the original topic, directions should be part of the field, I agree. :D

And there is always room for improvement, like finer control of the display options for a map display in "article full" mode or, like mentioned in another topic, the scroll zoom option not only in the list map, but also in the individual map.

We might have to open a different topic for our "wish list" ... :D

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Июнь 2013 01:30

Geo field was always very active in adding new features. Directions is on it's way. But not soon. I think only with Cobalt 9. Right now directions might be easily integrated inside map list template.

Regarding separation, well, there are advantages and shortcomings in both methods. And since we had it separated in Mighty Resources, we already can see that in current implementation there are more advantages then in separated approach.

One of the mopst important is speed. Whatever we do in the field we always have all needed information. Otherwise we would nahe to query DB to collect all needed information from the other fields.

andmm
24 Июнь 2013 09:31

On a related note, does Cobalt supports joomla shortcode plugins? There's a pretty good plugin on JED with directions, if its supported I could try translating that into a cobalt field.

Работает на Cobalt