mklupa
Total posts: 12
30 Apr 2018 15:04

I'm trying to create a "file upload field" to use/integrate with my Jomsocial installation for the profile sections, but for the life of me can't figure out how to use Cobalt8 to achieve this. Any help, screenshots, or tips to do this?

Last Modified: 06 Jun 2018

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
30 Apr 2018 17:22

Welcome to the World of Cobalt ;)

Hello, do you want to extend the Profile itself? Then you would need a special JomSocial custom field (plugin).

If you are talking about Cobalt section and records display, you might need this:
http://www.mintjoomla.com/download/joomla-3/item/17-integrations/197-jomsocial.html
Hence the screenshot, where the profile tab shows a certain Cobalt section. In this section, users are able to submit and create their own records.

Hope this helps.

mklupa
30 Apr 2018 17:42

Yes, I want the jomsocial profile to be extended to have a field where a resume can be uploaded and shown to viewers.

mklupa
30 Apr 2018 17:58

I don't see a place in Coblat to community integrations that applies to JomSocial...would be com_community?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
01 May 2018 14:16

нou cannot use Cobalt fields in a registration form.

mklupa
02 May 2018 16:12

Ok, so I create the custom field with cobalt, then add it as a tab in the toolbar where people can access the file for download?

mklupa
02 May 2018 16:29

I don't see a place in Coblat to that applies to community integrations for JomSocial in the configuration...would it be the com_community option?

mklupa
02 May 2018 16:53

I need to know that this is a workable solution before I buy these specific Cobalt plugins.

Sergey
03 May 2018 07:14

mklupa Ok, so I create the custom field with cobalt, then add it as a tab in the toolbar where people can access the file for download?

We use upload field here on ьштеощщьдфюthat is how you've downloaded Cobalt. That was that field.

mklupa I don't see a place in Coblat to that applies to community integrations for JomSocial in the configuration...would it be the com_community option?

Community integration is a very general term. Theer might be hundreds of ways how Cobalt may integrate with community extensions. What in particular?

Users will access downloads in a cobalt section which you create. If you whant users to share wiles you can create download section that allows other users to upload files, and then integrate with community extension so that users records in that sownload section are visible in user profile.

I do not understand what is the file and who uploaded it and for what. If you producesomething and whaте other users to download I do not see any connection with community concept at all. Please describe your idea.

mklupa
03 May 2018 16:20

I'm creating a job board using jomsocial and I wanted an area in the person's profile where they uploaded their resume and it can be seen on their profile to be downloaded for potential employers. It looked as though that uploaded file by the member could be seen as a jomsocial toolbar tab or something by using cobalt plugin, so that's why I'm asking.

mklupa
07 May 2018 06:06

Any advice?

Sergey
08 May 2018 09:51

What extension is used to create profile? Also Cobalt or Cobalt juct for files?

mklupa
08 May 2018 13:58

I explained it early in the thread. I'm using jomsocial and I want the user to be able to upload their resume and somehow show that resume in the profile toolbar or something like that.

mklupa
10 May 2018 18:57

I was going to use Cobalt just for the file upload and integration to the Jomsocial installation, if it works. That's what I'm trying to figure out with you guys. lol

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
14 May 2018 02:36

mklupa I was going to use Cobalt just for the file upload and integration to the Jomsocial installation, if it works. That's what I'm trying to figure out with you guys. lol

Although Cobalt is a great and powerful solution, I hesitate to give my recommendation in this particular case. It is a big extension for such a small use case. Maybe a plus for Cobalt: You can retrict the submission limit. If you need Cobalt for more than that on your site... I am fine.

IMHO, you should try to find someone who creates a special JomSocial profile plugin. Because you want to extend that profile, nothing else.

Alternatively I could imagine a "lighter" solution. Doesn't have JomSocial a J! article app and integration? What about extending J! core article with a file upload, or "attachments" solution. There are some in the Joomla extension directory.

Just thinking loud...

mklupa
14 May 2018 23:28

The only problem with "a lighter solution" involving and attachments is that I don't think I could associate the file the user uploads with their profile to make sure they're not overridden in the process.

mklupa
14 May 2018 23:30

I'm familiar with using Yootheme's Zoo CCK component and it has submission functionality, but I don't know how to make the two work together and I would still have the same file override problem previously stated.

Sergey
15 May 2018 04:14

I agree with @pepperstreet. You need to extens user profile. Fo you need somethign like additional registration field. Cobalt would be sutable here if you wanted to create CV with cobalt not upload. Like user enetre his experiance, skills, education, ...

And any way, there is no integration with Jomsocial on that level. It would be possible if'd use easysocial.

virtualking
Total posts: 5
06 Jun 2018 06:55

Can we limit the size of the file to be uploaded and particular format restrictions too?

Sergey
06 Jun 2018 10:12

virtualking Can we limit the size of the file to be uploaded and particular format restrictions too?

Yes, there is parameters in the field edit form.