pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 May 2012 18:39

Hello,

currently Cobalt and Resources articles can only be featured by manual actions. Either done by admin or by the user. Especially the end-user might be confused by these extra tasks.

(Usual) workflow example:

A Premium membership plan allows for featured or "sticky" content on top of list views. Or in a featured content module. A customer just wants to submit his entry... and based on his higher price, he expects the premium feature to work. He does not expect to set some options?!

Don't get me wrong here, I also like the current restriction for "feature option" and "prolong". But it is a special workflow and application IMHO.

I think, an auto-grant and auto-revoke of the featured option is much easier to understand and handle. Activate it on subscrition/renewal and revoke it on expiration. In other words: Do not just restrict a certain feature... also manipulate some related values or parameters.

Since the restriction and access is controlled via URL parameters, there is no real "integration" or "manipulation". Sorry, I have to admit Joomlapolis' CBsubs again... there is a nice advanced feature called SQL-Actions. They are fired upon new/renew/expiring plans. Actually, its **comparable to the new Custom-SQL parameter in Cobalt **fields. This would make Emerald very powerful and dynamic (besides access restrictions).

A single solution for "Featured Content" would be great for Cobalt. CustomSQL actions are much more vesatile and opens many possibilities.

What do you think?

Example CBsubs - SQLactions:

By the way, CBsubs uses also URL-restriction and special intergration-plugins for certain extensions. SQL is just an advanced alternative, if there is no other possibility. It also supports external DB.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
28 Jun 2012 01:13

currently Cobalt and Resources articles can only be featured by manual actions. Either done by admin or by the user. Especially the end-user might be confused by these extra tasks.

There was a reason for that. User could have 10 articles in the section and then he purchase subscription with allow only 1 article to make features for 10 days. What article to make featured? This is why user had to decide himself what article to make featured

Since the restriction and access is controlled via URL parameters, there is no real "integration" or "manipulation".

Our restriction is embedded in tho Cobalt code. So it is not URL based. We can do whatever.

I am not sure about making article featured flow to be changed but this features of SQL queriea goes right into Emerald 9. Thank you for suggestion.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
07 Dec 2012 15:04

Hi!

I know this is old topic.

Just wanted to ask Maik if he found a solution for this using Emerald!

Thanks