pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
13 Aug 2013 18:56

Related to this E8 topic.

Suggestion

Reduce plan price based on certain date of purchase.
Mostly applicable to timeframe plans (till the end of current month/year ... etc.)

Typical usecase & scenario

A local sports-club has memberships for a full calendar-year. i.e. 2013 No matter when I joined the club, my membership expires on Dec 31th of the current year. In addition, I should get a reduced price, if I joined in the second half of the current year. i.e. I join in summer/Juli 2013, I should only pay 50% of normal plan price.

Just one example. Maybe the date check and amount can be flexible.

Last Modified: 04 May 2017

Tags Emerald 10

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
27 Aug 2013 01:36

i was thinking of that. There is no since to pay whole year price if there is only one month left. Right in timeframe parameters block I wanted to add

Recalculate price Yes/No

Minimum Amount Text

Steps in days Integer.

This will allow to affect price in any direction.

But there is slight problem with that. That would be not good for recurring payments. because user by for recalculated discounted price but next purchase should be all price. With these subscriptio types recurring is not suggested.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Aug 2013 04:24

Sounds good.

because user by for recalculated discounted price but next purchase should be all price. With these subscriptio types recurring is not suggested.

But technically it works, right? I don´t see any problem with a recalculated price in terms of user experience... if everything is exposed and listed (why and what was reduced).

pepperstreet VIP
27 Aug 2013 04:28

pay whole year price if there is only one month left.

This is very bad. In real world, nobody would subscribe for such a "strict" membership plan. e.g. 1-year plans: I guess, everyone will think about it, if a half year has already passed by. In general a lost customer / lost client.

pepperstreet VIP
06 Nov 2013 16:06

But there is slight problem with that. That would be not good for recurring payments. because user by for recalculated discounted price but next purchase should be all price. With these subscriptio types recurring is not suggested.

But the price reduction depends on the date, right? It is a temp modification, which does not alter the original base price. I mean, the reduction happens only IF the date condition matches...

The original base price information is still there, IMHO. Why not use this base price information for re-curring payment?!

pepperstreet VIP
07 Feb 2014 13:09

Did you get the idea of my last comment?

Any news on this topic?

Right in timeframe parameters block I wanted to add

Recalculate price Yes/No

Minimum Amount Text

Steps in days Integer.

BTW, is it easier and better to implement a parameter set…

or isn't it a special Coupon? And this coupon is automatically used if a certain timeframe has passed? Or can it even be a time based rule, that triggers an action (calculation).

Sergey
09 Feb 2014 23:18

No one is using it yet. No one asks for that. I know you ask but more theoretically not practically. But we have things to do with what people need right now for their real needs.

So I will make it as soon as someone really use it.

pepperstreet VIP
10 Feb 2014 01:53

I know you ask but more theoretically not practically

I see, but most things I am asking... have a certain reason. I am noz asking because of too much free time ;-)

In general, most of the questions and ideas are for important decisions in the near future. And I can`t make decisions on the extension choice and setup, if they lack too much functions.

For example:

Choice of a subscription software...

Actually, the best suitable software for CB users is CBsubs. The drawback: It is complex and backend only. A heavy weight in regards of maintenance and configuration. So, if one does not need the whole feature set, it makes sense to think about alternatives.

Alternative is a "lighter" extension like EMERALD. Especially when you have Cobalt on the same site.

Apart from the tight CBCBsubs integration, Emerald has a different workflow. i.e. no plan subscription during CB register. Which is often a demand of the client, because he can't understand the two step registration.

So, i try to compare the pros/cons a lot these days.

Small things like this topic "Altering Price dependent on subscription date" have a big impact on a final decision. Same applies for my other topic about "Plans as optional products to buy"

As far as i can see, the CBSUBS features for price and timeframes are hard to beat. Also the "plan as a product" feature is there. But I still think it is a beast to manage and understand (for the client). And it is a CB plugin, which requires CB.

pepperstreet VIP
10 Feb 2014 01:57

PS: I think this type of feature is a BASIC feature. As I mentioned in the topic description. It is a very common pricing option for club subscriptions. In general, their subscription timeframe is based on the current year. maybe payment is done on a quarter basis, but often equal to the full period.

Thus this is neither a very special, nor a theoretical request. ;-)

Sergey
10 Feb 2014 02:27

I am noz asking because of too much free time

I know and believe me I very appreciate every second your brilliant brain work on Cobalt and Emerald ideas.

i.e. no plan subscription during CB register

This is in the plan. We will add custom field to CB.

i.e. no plan subscription during CB register

PS: I think this type of feature is a BASIC feature...

I know. But I have whole new idea on that. Right now toy can chose out of 3 types of period creations. But recently one man called me and asked to create restrictions, but exclude vacations. I mean if you by 1 month plan and during that month there is 1 week ofice vacation, plan become 1 month and 1 week.

That drawn me an idea to make period selector also based on adapters. You first select and adapter, and then you select parameters. This way form will be more clear and all those things will be executed through those adapters.

And if I planned to refactor this part of emerald anyway, I decided not to implement your suggestion until I finish new period adapter based calculation mechanism.

But I will surely fix this.

pepperstreet VIP
10 Feb 2014 03:20

I very appreciate every second your brilliant brain work

:D Thank you very much. I know, sometimes my "pickyness" is a real pain. I often have to force myself to stop thinking things over and over... just to start working.

Surprised! I thought you are against this 1-click workflow ;-) I started to like both ways. But sometimes clients are stubborn as hell. Anyways, very cool stuff.

an idea to make period selector also based on adapters. You first select and adapter, and then you select parameters. This way form will be more clear and all those things will be executed through those adapters.

Sounds good and flexible. Somehow, this is almost what i tried to explain with rules/actions. Which currently have a different task and meaning in Emerald, and I did not really investigate them. Such a flexible configuration is cool, but it will take much more time to implement, right?

As a workaround for my planned setup, i could emagine a coupon solution... where the admin publishs a special coupon for all new registrations. Just as soon as the second half of the year starts.

BTW, can i publish and assign a 50% coupon on a certain date, until the end of the year?

(I think % is not available at all)

Sergey
10 Feb 2014 05:13

Surprised! I thought you are against this 1-click workflow I started to like both ways. But sometimes clients are stubborn as hell. Anyways, very cool stuff.

I was not against that. I was against registration process handled by Emerald. One of my argument against was, that pay during registration will limit to be registered only through Emerald.

But now all reg extensions has interface to add custom fields. So we may integrate. Like we already did with EasySocial and core Joomla registration.

Surprised! I thought you are against this 1-click workflow I started to like both ways. But sometimes clients are stubborn as hell. Anyways, very cool stuff.

Such a flexible configuration is cool, but it will take much more time to implement, right?

I do not think so. I day to implement this mechanism. But later when I need to create new time calculation scheme, it will be lightning fast. Just the matter of 1-2 hours. Without even hacking Emerald and providing those periods with Emerald core.

Such a flexible configuration is cool, but it will take much more time to implement, right?

BTW, can i publish and assign a 50% coupon on a certain date, until the end of the year?

Sure.

pepperstreet VIP
10 Feb 2014 09:34

Sure.

Does it always show the Coupon/Gift input field? Or is it conditional? If no current coupons, than no input field?

How and where to notify the user about a coupon:

It seems I have to expose the COUPON info in the plans description. Otherwise the users won't know what and when they should enter a code. Can this be automated? i.e.:

Show Coupons with a short description, if they are published and in a valid date range (start date).

Sergey
11 Feb 2014 06:56

Does it always show the Coupon/Gift input field? Or is it conditional?

If is conditional. But condition is simple. it is hidden only if there is not single coupon created.

Does it always show the Coupon/Gift input field? Or is it conditional?

Can this be automated?

1. Create plans group description and it will be applied to al plans

2. Change template and insert this text into template.

Sergey
04 May 2017 15:03

Ithink it is possible. With all those limitations I've mentioned.

But I'll whait when something like this is requested by someone who need it. I mean this feature is obviously common sense and looks like it will find it's user sooner or later, but let's see if someone needs it.