pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
16 Aug 2012 22:49

Hello, I just wanted to re-create an older ME Resources setup. I remember, it worked with core options and default submission in usermenu.

Goal:

Example setup with 1 Section, 3 types and 3 categories:

SECTION (usermenu with all 3 type submission links)

CAT1 (Type1, usermenu with only 1 submission link)

CAT2 (Type2, -"-)

CAT3 (Type3, -"-)

**Problem:

**Currently I can´t restrict the usermenu to 1 submission link on each category!? ALL 3 links are shown. Which can result in a wrong category selection.

Submission on Root Section results in the right pre-selection.

Questions: - Is this usermenu/submission link setup possible? Can it be achieved with parameter settings only? - Did I miss something obvious for Category restriction?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 Aug 2012 22:55
  • Did I miss something obvious for Category restriction?

Smal parameter "Show restricted categories" in category limit of the type. Just set it NO.

• Did I miss something obvious for Category restriction?

• Is this usermenu/submission link setup possible? Can it be achieved with parameter settings only?

Check our forum demo. When you submit ticket you see only categories of tickets and when submit topic you see only categories for topics.

pepperstreet VIP
16 Aug 2012 23:22

Ah, I see. forgot to set all parameters. Somehow, I misunderstood the parameter label. Now, I seem to get the right pre-selection. Only the respective category shows up. (left the display on, for visual check)

1.) Still confused by the tooltip:

What does it mean? It just works, if I select the second option? Whats the difference or usecases?

2.) Is there any way to restrict the submission links menu? As far as I remember it, I had a solution in my older Resources project. It just showed the single link, when on a sub-category page. It showed all links when on root section. Any idea?

x.) The first time I pay attention to the Disallow/Allow checkbox. I saw, you make use in the forum pack. Interesting feature!

Sergey
17 Aug 2012 00:24

Is there any way to restrict the submission links menu?

This question is not clear to me. I suppose you know who to turn off submit menu element in menu template. SO perhaps your question about something else.

Is there any way to restrict the submission links menu?

What does it mean? It just works, if I select the second option? Whats the difference or usecases?

This means that if "Restrict for" will be other than "Selected categories and it subcategories" this parameter will not work.

pepperstreet VIP
17 Aug 2012 01:13

This means that if "Restrict for" will be other than "Selected categories and it subcategories" this parameter will not work.

o.k. thats more or less what I read in the tooltip. But I don´t understand, why it does not apply for the other option? Isn´t it just the same usecase? Except for the depth level?

Sergey
17 Aug 2012 02:35

o.k. thats more or less what I read in the tooltip. But I don´t understand, why it does not apply for the other option? Isn´t it just the same usecase? Except for the depth level?

Because we do not know may be this category is restricted but one of it's child is not. Then we have to make analise for every category to check if on of the parent is restricted and show restricted is not, then we have to show this parent anyway but make disabled. This would be longest time of the page load on the form with 1000 categories. So we simply hide it only if we are sure that all subcategories also restricted.

Please, see my initial post and example. I wrote the visible menu links after the hierarchy in (parenthesis). In other words... i just want the respective submission link. Not ALL submission links. If I am on the sub-category-1, I just need the type submission link-1. Thats what I mean by "restrict the submission menu links, too".

In other words you want in menu link to submit only type that allowed in this particular category?

pepperstreet VIP
17 Aug 2012 03:15

Because we do not know may be this category is restricted but one of it's child is not. Then we have to make analise for every category to check if on of the parent is restricted and show restricted is not, then we have to show this parent anyway but make disabled. This would be longest time of the page load on the form with 1000 categories. So we simply hide it only if we are sure that all subcategories also restricted.

1. Maybe I am too tired... why there are TWO options? I can´t see a realworld usecase. As always, I need an image or picture to see the difference ;-)

I would expect that the** first option** "Selected Categories only..." does the same thing. Just respect the selected category... show or hide this category, no matter what is included or how deep the hierarchy is.

Sergey
17 Aug 2012 03:59

I would expect that the first option "Selected Categories only..." does the same thing. Just respect the selected category... show or hide this category, no matter what is included or how deep the hierarchy is.

No. If you restrict submit to this category only it will not apply for it's subcategories. Because for that there is special option.

It is like Restrict to submit has nothing to do with hide. It is only the fact that this category will be disabled for this type. That is it. You may restrict only this category or category and node if you are lazy to add every single category.

Hide restricted is separate option.