pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
30 Mar 2012 16:34

Hello,

just curious about the new "Date and Time" field options. Obviously, you integrated a lot of features of the terrific "Terix Calendar" field! I can´t express my appreciation... many, many thanks to the initial creator and certainly to MightyExtensions, too!

As far as i can see, the Cobalt core dates are the same like in Resources 1.5. Standard and system-like.

**My questions / concerns:

Is it possible to add the same customizable input like in the new date field? If not, it must be possible to use the "date & time" field instead of the core ones. **Please, see "Terix Calendar" for Reference!!! I studied the backend screenshots... and i can´t see an override option, nor the simple input format (i.e. really simple selectboxes for date and hh:mm) :O

Date & Time field requests:

• Override the Cobalt core dates

(start and expire)

• Set initial default value

(might be NOW for start or both, maybe NOW+ a custom value for expire)

• very simple input options

(selectbox, no JS or interactivity)

1 is the most crucial.

Thanks for listening.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
30 Mar 2012 16:56

and i can´t see an override option

as of now, it is not there.

I believe, that the existing calendar field is an early version and will still receive quite some enhancements (like the very important** entry field** for the date)

Knowing Sergey, I am sure that he will find a way to incorporate all feature request (as long as they make sense) to produce an outstanding solution.

to get an idea about the date picker, see the mootools date picker demo page

http://aryweb.nl/projects/mootools-datepicker/Test/

Sackgesicht VIP
30 Mar 2012 17:13

I have seen a better jQuery version

I believe the philosophy of cobalt is to stay as close as possible to the Joomla environment (where mootools is the JS framework), therefore the chosen solution might have been the best option for the cobalt calendar field.

I have seen a better jQuery version

the time is an input?!?

See screen shot ... the mouse wheel can be used for time input as well ... :D

Sackgesicht VIP
30 Mar 2012 17:39

What about Tablets and note/netbooks etc.

On notebooks, just use the rightmost area of your touchpad to use the mouse scroll emulation ... (it works at least on my laptop - Win7) ...

Sackgesicht VIP
31 Mar 2012 00:11

too much "Gefrickel" :-) (Do you know an english term for "Gefrickel" ?!

hmm .. i would use the term "hassle" ... too much hassle ...

--> to cause annoyance or trouble to (someone);

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hassle

anyway, lets see how the datetime field will evolve in the next weeks ... after some bug fixing and enhancements (maybe based on your suggestions), this filed will be much more powerful than the old "Terix Calendar" for Resources 1.5.x .. just alone because of the filtering and date range functionality.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
01 Apr 2012 02:24

We will certainly incorparte all your suggestions that will be possible to implements without changing source JS library.

pepperstreet VIP
20 Apr 2012 06:59

Regarding my first post and feature listing... and besides the core date override options:

Wouldn't it make sense to have similar date input and customization for Cobalt core dates? I think layout and UI are not tied to any J! system stuff, right? So, why not improve it?

1. Could make an override by date/time field obsolete. (almost!)

2. way better user-experience (no end-user understands the system default stuff)

Anyway, i still think the override feature is very important. Because field placement and layout is easier for submission. More flexible, i.e. I can put important date/time inputs in a prominent place etc.

Sergey
21 Apr 2012 06:13

Wouldn't it make sense to have similar date input and customization for Cobalt core dates? I think layout and UI are not tied to any J! system stuff, right? So, why not improve it?

Will be there soon.

Please explain

2. way better user-experience (no end-user understands the system default stuff)

Please explain

Sergey
21 Apr 2012 06:48

Override scheduled.

By the way why you say order will not work? If you make field orderable it should work. And in calendar list template we will make possibility to show calendar based on datetime field.

Sergey
21 Apr 2012 07:43

Agree. Will be there in next release.

pepperstreet VIP
29 Apr 2012 17:32

Date & Time field requests:

very simple input options

(selectbox, no JS or interactivity)

Still longing for simple selects ;-)

pepperstreet VIP
21 Nov 2012 19:56

Unfortunately, it allows NO FUTURE dates beyond the current year!? Other UX cosmetics are in my previous comments.

Have to check it again...

Was it already implemented?

Sergey
21 Nov 2012 21:39

Yes, I do not remember. It was 6 mont ago :)

pepperstreet VIP
23 Nov 2012 00:30

Unfortunately, it allows NO FUTURE dates beyond the current year!? Other UX cosmetics are in my previous comments.

Done.

One more thing: Selects would need a text before/after on input. At least the time... For example: 12:00 o'clock ... 12:00 Uhr

Selects have default labels inside. So, my request is not completely integrated on submission. A minor issue. Not important or crucial.

Current visual appearance:

BTW, input mask in text input template works great.

pepperstreet VIP
03 Dec 2012 05:34

Additional request for overrides:

Usecase is an Event entry. Usually with start and end-dates. Usually you have to set the core EXpire date to get rid of old entries. So, core field overrides come into play. So far, so good...

But there is one issue in real-world situations, because users tend to enter "events" that are not really related to "real" dates: i.e. a user offers a 3-day workshop at weekends... but this occurs serveral times... lazy users just enter a loooong date range, and give additional time details in the description text.

This results in "permanent" and sticky entries, because there are no proper EXpire dates set. The user selects a very long timeframe, and does not enter single/multiple event dates.

**Possible solution:

**- take the START date as usual - take an END date for display only! - Set a hidden EXpire date!

The hidden EXpire date is actually the STARTdate + Nth hour/day/week/month

Result: The entry can be excluded as soon as possible from the listing. No matter, if the user has entered a very far end-date. In general, an event can be marked as expired, shortly after the beginning.

**Requirement for field parameters:

**- a 2nd field to select and override (currently, there is only one) - Counting/Adding time on the field to override (so, default can be set to an automatic future date from start)

Thanks for listening.

PS: Would also appreciate it in ME Resources TERIX date field ;-)

Sergey
03 Dec 2012 06:31

I think it is possible.

1. You add start date field and alter create date

2. You add end date field but not alter expire date

3. Set in parameter for records automatically to expire in 10 days.

Sergey
03 Dec 2012 23:07

1) This is easily fixed :). We will just auto-expire always from the creation date. Because it make more sense to me.

2) Not necessarily. You may turn off prolong ability for user and use it just to wipe articles away after certain amount of days.

Would that do the thing?

pepperstreet VIP
04 Dec 2012 08:04

1) This is easily fixed . We will just auto-expire always from the creation date. Because it make more sense to me.

I remember, my own ME-Resources debate about available core-dates. Unfortunately, ME-Resources had no initial create-date ;-) Actually, its just one publish-up date.

Can´t remember it at the moment...

do you store the FIRST INITIAL creation date in Cobalt? How do you call it? It looks like you still call the PUBLISH-UP date CREATION-DATE ?! Also in backend. Thats a bit confusing.

Using it instead of NOW for auto-expire? Not sure if this is of help.

An Event gets a PUBLISH-UP date. (Cobalts core create-date, hence the name. Actually not correct)

1) This is easily fixed . We will just auto-expire always from the creation date. Because it make more sense to me.

2) Not necessarily. You may turn off prolong ability for user and use it just to wipe articles away after certain amount of days.

But how to get the expired articles back? If the user wants to edit and re-publish it.

(At least in Resources, this was not possible due to the "bug" i mentioned in #3.

Sergey
04 Dec 2012 20:35

But how to get the expired articles back? If the user wants to edit and re-publish it.

(At least in Resources, this was not possible due to the "bug" i mentioned in #3.

There is "expired" user menu item where user can see all his expired articles.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Oct 2013 18:46

Additional request for overrides:

Usecase is an Event entry. Usually with start and end-dates. Usually you have to set the core EXpire date to get rid of old entries. So, core field overrides come into play. So far, so good...

But there is one issue in real-world situations, because users tend to enter "events" that are not really related to "real" dates: i.e. a user offers a 3-day workshop at weekends... but this occurs serveral times... lazy users just enter a loooong date range, and give additional time details in the description text.

This results in "permanent" and sticky entries, because there are no proper EXpire dates set. The user selects a very long timeframe, and does not enter single/multiple event dates.

Possible solution:

• take the START date as usual

• take an END date for display only!

• Set a hidden EXpire date!

The hidden EXpire date is actually the STARTdate + Nth hour/day/week/month

Result: The entry can be excluded as soon as possible from the listing. No matter, if the user has entered a very far end-date. In general, an event can be marked as expired, shortly after the beginning.

Requirement for field parameters:

• a 2nd field to select and override (currently, there is only one)

• Counting/Adding time on the field to override (so, default can be set to an automatic future date from start)

Thanks for listening.

PS: Would also appreciate it in ME Resources TERIX date field

Just wanted to say thank you for integrating my ideas and parameters. On first sight, everything is there. Just noticed the new parameters in C8 Date & Time field. Unfortunately, I had no occasion for real-world tests, yet. But very soon.