pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
25 Mar 2012 12:53

(EDIT: Re-Created and updated Cobalt 8 topic)

This C7 topic is related to my older accepted feature request on previous ME support area.

Since you added a separate bookmark feature in "Cobalt", i am not sure if my new request belongs to bookmarks or favourites. Which one is more extendable? I think, it applies to both?!

Idea:

Create multiple bookmark-categories. You might call them lists or collections of other items. In addition to a single flag, a user can assign the current item to a "category" or "label". Other users can see those collections.

Examples:

IMDB.com - please, see lower right side bar for "Related Lists". To create your own lists, you might create a free account to test the functionality.

Youtube.com

See button "Add to Favourite & Playlist"

Twitter.com

Same function but used for user categorization. See popup next to follow button "Add/Remove to lists..."

Cobalt (alpha3):

Currently, there is only an option to change the bookmark ICON on template parameters. I can´t see any further configuration. I am not sure how "bookmarks" differ technically from "favourites" in cobalt. Maybe it is a little bit redundant anyway?!? Can´t both rely on the same code... For example: Do you know the Drupal module "flag". This can be used and configured multiple times. You can rename it and use a different icon.

What do you think?

Last Modified: 29 Apr 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
26 Mar 2012 06:08

this idea is certainly good. But unfortunately too big to bi implemented right now. May be we wait and make it later if it finally fit in concept.

pepperstreet VIP
26 Mar 2012 12:56

Another technical idea - beyond current bookmarks/favourites:

Create an article (serves as collection), in category MyCollections. Then use a Relate-field with manual selection. The selection could be a step-by-step process. From category-tree down to an item selection. Or by title auto-complete. All selections (URLs) are stored in this field. Displayed in frontend via template or simple UL/LI.

Example workflow like in ArticleRelationPlugin by greatjoomla.com (need to login with "artrel"!)

Example manual RelatedItems field by Yootheme ZOO

Maybe an extra field is more flexible?

andiamine VIP
Total posts: 295
26 Mar 2012 18:07

Veryy good idea i need it :D

pepperstreet VIP
16 Nov 2012 12:04

Any news on this? or extended feature in Cobalt 8 ?

I got a news about "Nordmograph" and a new "VM Wishlist" extension. Also a good example for user-created lists and collections. Something like this would boost Cobalts use-cases and reputation.

In general, users are interested in who likes what and why. And a directory woth lots of entries, is much easier to read with some collections and advices from other users.

Sergey
17 Nov 2012 06:11

Thank you for reminding me on this one. I'll try to implement something in Cobalt 8.

pepperstreet VIP
06 May 2013 05:50

Thank you for reminding me on this one. I'll try to implement something in Cobalt 8.

Any news on this?

BTW, since there is this new "repost on my homepage" feature. What about assigning user categories? If i could select one of my user-categories or even create a new one if there was none... imdb, dribbble and behance network has similar features.

Sergey
06 May 2013 06:02

BTW, since there is this new "repost on my homepage" feature. What about assigning user categories? If i could select one of my user-categories or even create a new one if there was none... imdb, dribbble and behance network has similar features.

Yes i have plan to do that. When i select what article I repost I chose my category.

pepperstreet VIP
09 May 2013 00:01

..."repost on my homepage" feature. What about assigning user categories? If i could select one of my user-categories or even create a new one if there was none... imdb, dribbble and behance network has similar features.

screenshots for my previously mentioned examples:

add + new in 1 step

add+filter, then new in optional step

pepperstreet VIP
30 Sep 2013 16:51

Yes i have plan to do that. When i select what article I repost I chose my category.

Any news on this user-category "extension" ?

pepperstreet VIP
30 Sep 2013 17:36

pepperstreet VIP
29 Apr 2014 21:34

EDIT: Correct internal link to C8 topic.