pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
21 Aug 2012 06:54

Hello, just curious whats best practice to protect and sell audio/video files. Since there might be different fields and possible setups.

• audio field
  • uploads field
  • pay2download field
  • Emerald restriction / subscription

A possible example scenario for audio:

• protect the Original file location
  • Visiter can hear: A) short snippet B) a low quality version C) water(audio)marked version
  • pay and download a particular single file (combi with uploads and/or pay2download)
  • pay for a limited amount of files (i guess Emerald)
  • pay for an unlimited amount / timebased (Emerald)

My main concerns and questions:

Since a preview file is needed, I have to store at least two different file versions...

• How to handle the low preview file and the high quality downloadable file? (I guess, PREVIEW = audio field ORIGINAL = uploads field)
  • Mix and setup 3 access variants?
  • Or stay with single downloads, without subscription?
  • Emerald seems to be nessecary for multiple downloads

Any ideas, thoughts and concerns are much appreciated.

Last Modified: 16 Feb 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
21 Aug 2012 21:51

Video

This is really depends. If you produce high quality video training session, then it may even make sense to sell it on copy protected CDs only. This is what they do for Joomla video training courses. In addition they make also some weekly video online just like attraction. YOu buy ful curse and get access to zone where you get additional video weekly.

I think that protection video may be done now in cobalt only with video field and Vimeo domain restriction feature. I do not know any other. I do not see any sense to upload video to your own hosting server.

Audio

This is also not best practice to store audio on the same server where site is located. But we are talking about protection. I think it is quite possible to make so that ffmpeg create all needed versions of the file. 20 seconds preview for example. But most easy would be to stream audio through url like

index.php?option=com_cobalt&taskfile.stream&id=123

In this case we may check access rights before streaming and even play voice something like

"This files is not yet purchase. To listen to this composition, please subscribe!"

pepperstreet VIP
23 Jan 2015 18:15

Sergey This is also not best practice to store audio on the same server where site is located.

What about CDN support for all uploads/file types in Cobalt 9 ?

Sergey
26 Jan 2015 04:24

I was thinking to build storage source adapter into uplaods. SO you can upload files to HDD, S3, Dropbox or whatever else.

geojoomla
Total posts: 73
11 Feb 2015 13:18

Sergey

I think that protection video may be done now in cobalt only with video field and Vimeo domain restriction feature. I do not know any other. I do not see any sense to upload video to your own hosting server.

Two questions please:

1. Is it that bad to have video on hosting server? Why exactly? (I might guess some answers, but professional opinion will help)
  2. Is Vimeo the only available solution?

Also, not very important but maybe this topic could be moved to Cobalt 8, as it is a generic Cobalt question and not valid for Cobalt 7 only.

pepperstreet VIP
12 Feb 2015 17:46

geojoomla Sorry to bother, but the Cobalt 8 Forum - home page - shows this topic with "Last comment" by Sergey. Was it a private comment or just some error? because "last comment" shown is mine.

Off-topic, but an interesting point.

I guess, the "last comment link" in category list does not respect the private option.
It simply links to the last comment and commenter. At least it is only an additional #-tag. So, it does not produce an error.

PS: This is also a private comment. Let's see the list what happens ;) Is it displayed for everybody else?!

Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-12 um 18.41.37

Edit: Changed back to public now.

Sergey
13 Feb 2015 04:48

geojoomla Sorry to bother, but the Cobalt 8 Forum - home page - shows this topic with "Last comment" by Sergey.

Was it a private comment or just some error? because "last comment" shown is mine.

It is private. Since you are not an author of the topic you cannot see it.

Sergey
16 Feb 2015 10:57

I'll try to improve it later when I have more time.