pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
10 Aug 2012 20:29

(Re-Creation of feature request for ME Resources and Cobalt7 - Alias title - update after edit or frontend)

Just noticed that Cobalt has frontend edit for Alias URL. Great! Might be crucial and useful for users and SEO. If they re-use articles as templates or if they correct and edit them.

1.) Optional Alias auto-update

I think this can be improved with an optional auto-update for ALIAS after changes. Currently the Alias is still the same.

2.) Save as copy

Can it modify the title and maybe alias? Just like in Joomla backend copy: It appends "copy" or a "number" to the name.

Last Modified: 28 Jul 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Aug 2012 21:10

I think this can be improved with an optional auto-update for ALIAS after changes. Currently the Alias is still the same.

That is cool to update alias automatically. But problem with SEO is if you change even 1 letter yo may loos PR which you got very hard. That may turn in some sort of surprise which we do not want other to experience. That is why you can only change your alias explicitly.

2.) Save as copy

Can it modify the title and maybe alias? Just like in Joomla backend copy: It appends "copy" or a "number" to the name.

If the titles are not unique it is not good to add (1) to title. What if it is like user already want it to be. If title is unique you will not be able to save until you change title. I think this is good only when you select object and click COPY. Then it is ok. Bat when we are on the form it is assumed you have entered everything as you want. Otherwise we will get reports here like "Why it always add (1) to my title and alias when I save as copy?" :)

pepperstreet VIP
12 Aug 2012 17:43

Yes, i agree with your "negative" sides. I am aware of those side-effets. Thats why I would like to implement it as a configuration OPTION. Maybe a section parameter.

For the average user I see some problems if they do a SAVE&NEW operation. The title can be changed but the alias is still the same? (if the alias option is deactivated).

It also looks strange to me, if NOTHING indicates that I made a copy of something. It looks like the original entry... that may lead people to do another submission... and anthother one...

I noticed a typical user behavior on my current Resources project. Each and every new entry is edited and changed a lot! About 3 - 6 times! Often the title is affected. Also, some users use their older expired entries as a reference or template! This means the content can be totally different to the initial entry. The user change everything, but the Alias URL is always the old one. Which is not correct. No matter if this is bad for the existing SEO... its just wrong, because the actual content does not represent the title-alias.

Hope I could explain it in english ;-)

Sergey
12 Aug 2012 19:37

For the average user I see some problems if they do a SAVE&NEW operation. The title can be changed but the alias is still the same? (if the alias option is deactivated).

To resave alias on Save&New I think is ok. Even have to be there. I'll added it.

It also looks strange to me, if NOTHING indicates that I made a copy of something. It looks like the original entry... that may lead people to do another submission... and anthother one...

OK, may be it is terminology problem. For me there is 2 different ways to make a copy. One is "copy" another one "save as". Ертв they are treated differently. When you copy an object, like Microsoft Office document or in Joomla article list select article and click copy, then it adds (2) to the eтв ща file of article. But if you save as, it save it as it is without anything added.

pepperstreet VIP
12 Aug 2012 20:33

Maik Kaune

OK, may be it is terminology problem. For me there is 2 different ways to make a copy. One is "copy" another one "save as". Ертв they are treated differently. When you copy an object, like Microsoft Office document or in Joomla article list select article and click copy, then it adds (2) to the eтв ща file of article. But if you save as, it save it as it is without anything added.

There is only one "COPY" in frontend. Actually it does "SAVE AS" the current article. But after saving, there is the success message "Item successfully saved." SAVE AS implies somehow, that I save the current thing as a COPY, and possibly with another Title or content. I personally, understand this action and I can live with it...

as always, I have the average user in mind, that is not so familiar with such terms and technical stuff. A user might be confused, because nothing "says" or "displays", what happened. Thats why I asked for a indication in the article title or a more detailed message.

Not sooo crucial ;-) But I know my DAU's ;-)

DAU = dumbest assumable user

Sergey
12 Aug 2012 21:44

Do we come to the conclusion that we need separate message like "You article have been copied" instead of "Your article have been saved"?

pepperstreet VIP
10 Nov 2013 21:44

2.) Save as copy

2.) Save as copy

Joomla article list select article and click copy, then it adds (2) to the eтв ща file of article.

I think it should follow the J! way. Currently, it does not. (C7 and C8)

The current copy action produces duplicated ALIAS. (duplicated titles might be o.k., but Alias/URL?)

pepperstreet VIP
04 Dec 2013 23:56

Real world example:

I noticed a typical user behavior on my current Resources project. Each and every new entry is edited and changed a lot! About 3 - 6 times! Often the title is affected. Also, some users use their older expired entries as a reference or template! This means the content can be totally different to the initial entry. The user change everything, but the Alias URL is always the old one. Which is not correct. No matter if this is bad for the existing SEO... its just wrong, because the actual content does not represent the title-alias.

Sergey
05 Dec 2013 00:08

Then allow users to change alias.

Sergey
05 Dec 2013 07:27

In Cobalt 8 when you save article as copy it recreate alias. In Cobalt 7 I'll not change anything now.

Do you want that Cobalt always recreate alias on every edit?

pepperstreet VIP
27 Jul 2014 02:40

Alias

Sergey Then allow users to change alias.

The average user can't understand this additional field. I think an auto-generation makes the most sense.

Sergey Do you want that Cobalt always recreate alias on every edit?

"Optional" seems to be most versatile. Maybe dependent on the "Edit Alias"? i.e. If the Alias field is NOT editable, then auto-update.

Save As (Copy)

Still not sure about the current SaveAs/Copy action. As far as I can see, it produces duplicated ALIAS's. Duplicated TITLES might be o.k. But what happens if I enable unique title feature?

Sergey
28 Jul 2014 03:14

pepperstreet But what happens if I enable unique title feature?

Did not check it.