pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 Sep 2014 01:39

Hello, I would like to see a simple and basic filter parameter in image/gallery fields.

Purpose
  • distinguish between records with and without images
  • filter for records which have at least 1 image/gallery
Filter appearance
  • simple checkbox (has image/gallery)
  • radio buttons (YES/NO)
  • switch/toggle like boolean field (YES/NO)

Last Modified: 28 Jun 2016

Tags Cobalt 9

pepperstreet VIP
24 Sep 2014 00:16

BTW, how to deal with DEFAULT image parameter? Default should not be considered as a value/uploaded file.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Sep 2014 07:48

In new uploader in CObalt 9 you will be able to select what image is default.

pepperstreet VIP
24 Sep 2014 11:16

Sergey In new uploader in CObalt 9 you will be able to select what image is default.

Sorry? You mean a "poster image" from multiple images in a gallery upload?

By "Default", I mean the placeholder for image field. Pre-defined and it is NOT a user's decision.
My last comment was about how a filter should recognize a default value: Is a default treated like a regular image value? Or a replacement on template level. The latter should make less problems, IMHO.

Sergey
25 Sep 2014 04:10

Not clear. Why do we need it for gallery? I understand for image field for list of articles looks neat if you place at least something for articles without image. But for gallery? How it is going to work?

pepperstreet VIP
26 Sep 2014 00:01

You were talking of C9 and upload?! If the user can make something a default image... it must be a gallery.
Or am I lost in translation ;)

Sergey I understand for image field for list of articles looks neat if you place at least something for articles without image. But for gallery? How it is going to work?

Why not? For me it is absolutely the same. It looks better, clean and professional. Currently there are different thumbnail styles for list view and intro.
If the gallery field is not required, a user might upload later on. So, this needs a placeholder, not a hidden field. A list looks really strange if there are empty parts. The layout might break as well.

Anyways, maybe better to leave it up to the template code and a condition. Also easier for the filter to check for an "empty value", right?

Sergey
26 Sep 2014 08:45

I see. I'll keep that in mind.

pepperstreet VIP
27 Sep 2014 00:26

We were slightly going off-topic ;)

The initial and important idea is to have a filter for image related fields. A filter that allows to display records which have an image.

BTW, I think this makes sense for any media field i.e. uploads, video, audio. This allows to filter for records that have at least 1 value/file.

Use case: Find entries that have to submit a certain document/scan/evidence. But those fields might not be required immediately. Submission has to be fast and easy, users might need extra time to prepare their images and files accordingly. Admins can check and filter for missing files, and notify those users or take any other action (unapprove etc.)

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
09 Mar 2015 23:46

pepperstreet The initial and important idea is to have a filter for image related fields. A filter that allows to display records which have an image.

BTW, I think this makes sense for any media field i.e. uploads, video, audio. This allows to filter for records that have at least 1 value/file.

I totally agree.

Although it does differ from the traditional filter functionality (search for a value in field), filtering records that contain media is just as valuable and not just for administrators.

Since content rules, records that provide the most information have probably more value to viewers. So, being able to quickly find records containing media fields is imho something that should be included in Cobalt.

Use case:

O Has product photo

O Has video

O Has music

O Has product gallery

O Has pdf manual

O Has attachement

etc....

Sergey
10 Mar 2015 02:45

Yes, that is prectical. And very universal. Something like field not empty standard filter for every field. Let's see what I can do for Cobalt 9.

pepperstreet VIP
28 Jun 2016 18:08

Just a gentle reminder for this feature ;)