pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
18 Jul 2014 22:56

(Related to this topic about visual counter for character limit.)

Issue

If parameter Title limit is used... the user's input just stops. There is no visual or text hint about that restriction: (bad UX)

title_max_char_current_display

Currently the field gets always a default size of "30"?! Even worse, the final width is driven by the bootstrap class "span12". So, a really wide input with 100% width:

title_max_char_wrong_default_size_bootstrap_span12

Suggestions for C8

The title field should get the proper "size" attribute and value. If "size" would get the correct value, and the BS span12 would be removed... the input apperance would be a first visual hint for the user.

Here is a temporary example with reduced size, and additional description as placeholder:

title_correct_display_and_size-temp-fix

Additionally,

I could imagine an optional help text like there is for any other field i.e.:

1. description parameter in type's title settings or in submission template
  2. placeholder attribute in output, which includes a very short text + limit value

Last Modified: 22 Jul 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
21 Jul 2014 00:40

I do те think that length of the field will tell thet there is limit for input. It will just looks like bad form markup. There should be maxlength attribute for this input with actualy does not allow to input more than allowed.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
21 Jul 2014 02:01

Sergey I do те think that length of the field will tell thet there is limit for input.

But it would support the current implementation... which has actually NO visual support, nor any text hint.

It will just looks like bad form markup.

I don't think so... and the average end-user thinks simple and needs visual help. e.g. a ZIP code entry is not 100% width

Personally, I like all lined-up and equal width... but a user doesn't care...

In this special case with character limit, an end-user is confused if the input just stops. He might think something is wrong, he wants to type, because there is plenty of space left.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
22 Jul 2014 12:04

pepperstreet In this special case with character limit, an end-user is confused if the input just stops. He might think something is wrong, he wants to type, because there is plenty of space left.

Make sense. But I'll not change it in Cobalt 8 anyway. Antualy I will only fix errors and bugs. no even tiny improvements wil be done for Cobalt 8. Because I already mentioned the problem.

Later I can check this for Cobalt 9.