pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
17 Apr 2014 22:44

Hello, as far as I know almost any part can be translated with J! core language overrides. Actually, Cobalt record translation is a duplication. But if you want to use the same Section/Category structure and types in another language, you won't need real duplicates of sec/cat/type. To solve this situation, you even have to install and use FaLang (JoomFish fork). Only for this very small and special purpose.

IMHO, this is total overhead and somewhat nonsense, because it is not involved in Cobalt Records translation.

Question/Idea

Is there any chance to make Cobalt Sec/Cat/Type names (titles) translatable with J! language overrides!?

Last Modified: 07 Mar 2015

golfads VIP
Total posts: 216
17 Apr 2014 23:01

Hi,

This might be a very good solution as I am myself involved in many multilanguage websites with Cobalt, I am currently using the default language structure of Cobalt, that is, duplicating all Sec/Cat/Type etc. Having an override structure will be a very good thing.

However, the override structure will help only when we are managing records ourselves, that is, everything is added/edited by the admin of the website itself.

In case it is a user registered website where registered users can add their own record, the override system will be a very complex structure.

Let's take ZOO from Yootheme as an example, there is an addon called ZOOLingual that makes multilanguage structure very easy, sections, categories, fields etc. can be added and translated at one go, when adding articles, as an example, when adding an article, for example in English version of the website, it is also available in the French version of the website but the author just need to add text translations in corresponding fields.

I know this is a very complex structure as it is supported with an additional addon, however, it is useful both for admins and frontend users (authors). Indeed, this is my personal opinion though, Cobalt team can think about this as a potential solution for future development of Cobalt.

Tomy

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
18 Apr 2014 05:09

Done.

• Category names
  • Category description
  • Section name
  • Section description
  • Type name
  • Type descrtiption
  • Field label
  • Field description

pepperstreet VIP
18 Apr 2014 16:52

Sergey Done.

Wow. Really?!

Dump question... how does it work? Do I enter a specific pre-defined CONSTANT name in the backend? Do I create my own? Are they still readable... Also curious about the description texts.

pepperstreet VIP
18 Apr 2014 22:17

pepperstreet use the same Section/Category structure and types

BTW, how to handle the J! menu-item title for Cobalt Section and Categories?

• If set to language "ALL"... I fear, you can't influence the title, right?
  • If set to each language, we have multiple Menuitems. Can we use "Alias" menuitem type? (is it considered as duplicate content?!?)

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
21 Apr 2014 07:56

pepperstreet Dump question... how does it work?

You can enter anything there. But if you want it to be translatable you enter language keys. CATEGORY_AUTO, CATEGORY_MOTO, ... And then add language overrides to all languages. You enter this in to title and descritpion.

pepperstreet If set to language "ALL"... I fear, you can't influence the title, right?

No. It should work. Because this same menu element will open section on the surrent language. But I usualy do 2 menus. Each of к every new language. In emglish or main language I create links to cobalt. And on other menus I create alias to those elements but label difefrent language. Usualy works good.

pepperstreet If set to each language, we have multiple Menuitems. Can we use "Alias" menuitem type? (is it considered as duplicate content?!?)

This is what I use usually as mentioned above.

pepperstreet VIP
20 Jul 2014 03:22

Sergey In emglish or main language I create links to cobalt. And on other menus I create alias to those elements but label difefrent language. Usualy works good.

FYI

Just noticed that J! "Alias" menuItem type creates 404 error, when pointed to an "External URL" menuItem type. :( So, this method can't be used with "pre-filtered links" or "Sub-Category Links".

06 Mar 2015 17:33

Hello,

I have a question. I can not find exact file, where to edit translation. I dont want to add new language, but edit some english words as

http://www.mintjoomla.com/support/community-forum/category-items/6-community-forum/48-cobalt-8.html

for example: Home New Topic Sort By

Thanks, Vojta

pepperstreet VIP
07 Mar 2015 04:20

Guest I dont want to add new language, but edit some english words

Hello Vojta, for simple term changes you can edit the respective template settings. Go here:

Sections -> YourSection -> Genral Parameters Tab -> Templates -> Markup layout -> edit default (click small button with gear-icon)

In the modal window dialog you have various tabs and groups of parameters. You will find most of the labels as text input parameters. i.e. your mentioned terms are in tab "Section Menu". Scroll down to see them ;)

Headsup: These direct changes apply to that particular template/section only!
If you want permanent changes for ALL occurencies or multi-language environment, you should use the Joomla Language Manager -> Overrides.

07 Mar 2015 08:43

picture1

Hello, thanks for your answer. I helped. Can you navidate me to the english file where i can find codes for everrides? I want to make changes (red marked titles on the picture) . Green marked are ok, along your help. Thanks a lot ? May be, do you knouw in exist czech translation? i can not find it. Have a nice day, Vojta

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
07 Mar 2015 10:15

If you want to find values of existing language constants go to extensions->language manager->overrides and add new (don't edit existing cobalt language file because you will lost it with updates). Then there is search input. Set search for to value. Write author and search it. One of the results will be CAUTHOR (everything related to Cobalt has C at the beginning of language constant). When you find result click on it and edit it in text area.

Other option is to download cobalt folders from server and search "author" in all files with notepad++.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Mar 2015 16:12

Guest do you knouw in exist czech translation? i can not find it

Currently no.

You can find translation projects on Transifex. I have already requested the creation of a CZECH translation. So, if you are interested to help out...? Join it ;)

Some people used the 3rdparty Depot for providing their translation files.