pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
27 Sep 2013 09:21

Hello, just noticed some issues with INPUT options and frontend display.

I thought, I understood the parameter descriptions and purpose. ;)

ADDRESS INPUT

How to Show parameter

Why is this parameter found in INPUT? Obviously it lists output options, right?!

On display:

If it is an output setting, it does not work as expected:

• if set to TEXT, it still shows the Gmap window. As long as there is a marker position stored. Only removing the position removes the map in frontend.
  • if set to MAP, it still shows the text address fields.

On submission:

If it is an INPUT setting, it doesn't work either. As a registered user i do always see the TEXT and the MAP input. I could not hide one or the other option. Also investigated the Google Map INPUT parameters.

Please, would you mind to test the display and submission options? I think there is something wrong? (at least the parameter labels and description ;-) )

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
30 Sep 2013 02:18

This is old parameter from Cobalt 7. Did not notice it is not used anymore. I have deleted it. Thank you.

pepperstreet VIP
30 Sep 2013 05:28

This is old parameter from Cobalt 7. Did not notice it is not used anymore. I have deleted it. Thank you.

No. Please, make it work and keep it! As I mentioned in this related topic, there is no easy input for novice people. It would simplify the input and reduce confusion on input.

--- re-post of my own comment ---

My comment on geo field input situation and configuration options:

In general i like the possibility to enter two different sets of information. But as always, it depends on use case and application. i.e. i like to have exact address text fields PLUS a very loose map location. Helpful, if you need to show different details to different user groups. So, in this special case, i would like to HIDE the buttons completely.

On the other hand, I understand the most typical use:

Address is in total sync with Gmap location.

Since there multiple ways to input the data, a mismatch is very likely!

**Thoughts: **

Maybe different modes can be added?

**A.) **No interactive map marker: Just enter address in text field. Optional buttons to turn address into long/lat.

**B.) **Interactive map only? (display text fields, but don't allow inputs? Maybe "unlock" text input with a special button?

Maybe the order of current display and input is not optimal (for DAU's):

• If i follow the form and fill it out (from top to bottom!) I tend to enter the address in the text fields first!
  • then i recognize the buttons... aah, i can press something here...
  • maybe try it out at once... oops, got the default marker location...
  • after that, and in the last step! I notice the interactivity of the map. (If anyway!)
  • then I try to click around... try one of the buttons (or even not)
  • look at my address text fields... and keep the info (if not altered in the previous steps)

**Conclusion: **

The user must be guided. Either with less options: Only one way of entering the data, or by optimizing the layout and a clear step-by-step order.

What about hiding the complete interactive map area...

at least restrict the drag-and-drop feature? Just display the map for visual reference.

Only the buttons are active and usable. This restricts the input on 1 way.

BTW, i tested the lastest version of geo field, and it was not possible to configure the display and submission in this direction. Bug?

Sergey
01 Oct 2013 04:57

I looked thru Cobalt 7 and it is not used there too. I do not know what this parameter is for at all. :)

londoh VIP
Total posts: 137
02 Oct 2013 04:08
  • If i follow the form and fill it out ( from top to bottom!) I tend to enter the address in the text fields first!

• after that, and in the last step! I notice the interactivity of the map. (If anyway!)

• look at my address text fields... and keep the info (if not altered in the previous steps)

+1 to this

I posted in some other thread about the geo field thats its a fantastic comprehensive piece of work, but I found confusing to use.

• If i follow the form and fill it out ( from top to bottom!) I tend to enter the address in the text fields first!

Conclusion:

The user must be guided. Either with less options: Only one way of entering the data, or by optimizing the layout and a clear step-by-step order.

I agree

My solution was to cut the Location/Address field down to just the address. In effect to make a 'geo-lite' field which just displays the map. The input template picks up address data for geocoding from standard cobalt fields on mouseout

Its maybe a bit like what jeff has done here (altho I only read post, havent looked it it yet):

londoh VIP
02 Oct 2013 04:11

should have been a link up there to jeff's thread but it didnt come out

so here it is

pepperstreet VIP
02 Oct 2013 06:15

I looked thru Cobalt 7 and it is not used there too. I do not know what this parameter is for at all.

Basically, it lists the 3 possible options that I would like to see as "display modes".

On input / submission:

1. Text fields only

2. Interactive map marker

3. Both

Option 3. "Both" would still require a better appearance, or user guide, hints etc.

I think, display options also apply to output. Maybe even different for list and full-view.

londoh VIP
02 Oct 2013 11:39

Separate Cobalt fields? Would like to see this approach in a knowledge-base article ;-)

I dont have time just now to even promise I'd do it - never mind actually do it!

What I've done is to strip out the Address part of Location /Address field so leaving just Location (maps) and then hack some map enhancements of my own around it.

However, its mainly a rip of a paid field so I guess sergey might consider it somewhat uncool if I go and publish code based on it! (and I dont wanna upset the boss :D )

But its a functioning installable cobalt field so if you have a paid sub and/or its ok with sergey I'll happily mail you a copy.

Or send it direct to sergey.

@sergey?

Sergey
03 Oct 2013 03:51

My solution was to cut the Location/Address field down to just the address.

If address is a one string, then we cannot filter by country, state or city.

My solution was to cut the Location/Address field down to just the address.

I dont have time just now to even promise I'd do it - never mind actually do it!

What I've done is to strip out the Address part of Location /Address field so leaving just Location (maps) and then hack some map enhancements of my own around it.

I think this is the way to go. You can completely change how field is forking just by templates.

As I can see new after long time of helping people to aly map on the site, almost everyone expect different things from this field or at least they expect it behave differently. here are dozens of ways for UI and logic. It is simply impossible to implement then all.

But i agree, this is not the reason to stop and we should advance geo field and make it even better.

In CObalt 9 we will make map AJAXed so it will be little bit refactored. At that point I'll read through all these topics and try to create new picture of new field.