pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 Jul 2013 09:55

Hello, i am aware of the reasons to build on CRON for email notifications... but i still think it is too advanced for smaller websites. I am talking of business or product websites, where you need Cobalt for custom page layout and versatile content display. Such pages do not generate a lot of notifications and emails, because they are maintained by one or two staff people.

Is it possible to have at least an option to activate a simple email system. Mainly for Admins and internal Content Managers.

The current situation is "take CRON" or leave it... which is not very Cobalt-like ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
23 Jul 2013 10:05

You mean, to send instant notifications without cron ?

I believe the cron system to send e-mails is nice because it can lower the number of e-mails sent. But if u want it to become almost instant notifications why don't u set it to each 5 minutes?

23 Jul 2013 11:36

there could be an option to send out notifications on site page load (as it for jomsocial or easyblog in alternative to cronjob)

@pepperstreet

for you the email notifications are working normally? I get errors when testing the cron, see here

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 Jul 2013 17:31

there could be an option to send out notifications on site page load (as it for jomsocial or easyblog in alternative to cronjob)

Good point, thats something i would like to have. Maybe direct emails like in ME Resources, or a delayed sending triggered through system/Cobalt plugin. Also CB CommunityBuilder has an option for batch mailing with time schedule.

@pepperstreet

for you the email notifications are working normally? I get errors when testing the cron, see here

Sorry, had no chance to give it a real world try. My main project is still ME Resources. Maybe converted later this year. 1 project was cancelled. Another one is in discussion. The latter won´t need any CRON. Its too small and a different use case. Thats the reason, why I opened this topic.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
24 Jul 2013 09:31

The problem is there is no email alerts like New comment, New article or article publiched... In Cobalt there is only one email alert. There is new events on the site.

If you can grasp the difference you can understand why we cannot sent alerts immediately.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 Jul 2013 00:32

There are events that can be triggered on events and it is described in docs.