Hello, i would suggest to implement a quick-edit feature for all cobalt templates in backend. You may know the edit for J! core templates and CSS files.
Examples J! core
Can you utilize the J! edit feature and source coloring?
- pencil/code icon or just text link
- display in modal window?
- source code coloring/highlighting
- line numbers
- warning/confirmation dialog before editing & saving (important!)
- copy/rename feature? (maybe better in manager)
Not sure about the location of the edit-link:
- near edit template parameters gear icon? (because of field templates)
- in the edit template modal window? (upper left corner, like save & close buttons)
- in template manager by list checkbox and new action button in top menu? (would require to add field templates to the manager)
Quick edit would allow to work faster on minor changes and online projects. Especially field-templates would benefit, because they do not appear in any other place.
Joomla 3.2 will get some new template management and edit features i.e. Overrides, Folder management, LESS edit and compile etc.
Watch preview video here.
Maybe those new features incl. the tree menu can be utilized by Cobalt ;-)
EDIT Okt 2013
Joomla 3.2 BETA1 released.