pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
31 May 2013 03:04

Hello, i would suggest to implement a quick-edit feature for all cobalt templates in backend. You may know the edit for J! core templates and CSS files.

Examples J! core

Can you utilize the J! edit feature and source coloring?

Feature wishlist

• pencil/code icon or just text link
  • display in modal window?
  • source code coloring/highlighting
  • line numbers
  • warning/confirmation dialog before editing & saving (important!)
  • copy/rename feature? (maybe better in manager)

Not sure about the location of the edit-link:

• near edit template parameters gear icon? (because of field templates)
  • in the edit template modal window? (upper left corner, like save & close buttons)
  • in template manager by list checkbox and new action button in top menu? (would require to add field templates to the manager)

Benefits

Quick edit would allow to work faster on minor changes and online projects. Especially field-templates would benefit, because they do not appear in any other place.

EDIT 09/07/2013
Joomla 3.2 will get some new template management and edit features i.e. Overrides, Folder management, LESS edit and compile etc.
Watch preview video here. Maybe those new features incl. the tree menu can be utilized by Cobalt ;-)

EDIT Okt 2013
Joomla 3.2 BETA1 released.

Related Topics

Last Modified: 25 Jan 2015

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
31 May 2013 09:08

This is really very nice feature. Sometimes you need only few changes in template. And just coonect to FTP may take longer than to change template.

01 Jun 2013 04:01

I also like this idea. This will definitely help to see the template change output very quickly.

Sergey
03 Jun 2013 06:18

not even positive. This tone template editor may grow later in something like visual template editor where you will be able to set positions and place fields by drag and drop :D.

This is definitely something we have to start working on at least with basic functionality.

03 Jun 2013 06:28

Trust me, with the drag and drop , this is going to be amazing.

Sergey: When are we aiming for this? in cobalt 8 or 9?

Sergey
03 Jun 2013 07:18

In Cobalt 9 we will add text editor. May be we will ass some code snippets to insert fields or something else.

With drag and drop I am just looking to far future :)

pepperstreet VIP
03 Jun 2013 07:29

Maybe we will add some code snippets to insert fields or something else.

Exactly what i have in my mind and idea-collection folder! I will add some things and examples shortly.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Sep 2013 07:03

FYI

Joomla 3.2 will get some new template management and edit features i.e. Overrides, Folder management, LESS edit and compile etc.

(watch preview video here)

Maybe those new features incl. the tree menu can be utilized by Cobalt ;-)

Sergey
08 Sep 2013 02:37

Maybe those new features incl. the tree menu can be utilized by Cobalt

We will see when it is out.

pepperstreet VIP
12 Oct 2013 12:33

FYI - Joomla 3.2 BETA1 available.

pepperstreet VIP
14 Oct 2013 15:32

In Cobalt 9 we will add text editor.

Might be obsolete, if J!3.2 extended template manager can be utilized... hopefully. Depends on its integration and possibilities. Maybe it is possible to re-use some features or even access it from other locations?! i.e. edit button in template parameters, edit button in Cobalt template manager?

In Cobalt 9 we will add text editor.

May be we will add some code snippets to insert fields or something else.

Exactly what i have in my mind and idea-collection! After checking out the J! template manager... I will try to add some thoughts and ideas for Cobalt e.g. quick template creator

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
14 Oct 2013 19:15

Oh man, just stumbled upon this thread. Great ideas here!