pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 May 2013 04:32

Another topic regarding PDF creation and modification reminded me on C8 formatters. Doesn´t it make sense to add PDF as a formatter?

You may know, the core feature was deprecated in J25/J30, but i found this J25 developer article:

Creating PDF views

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
15 May 2013 05:58

Best way to create PDF is to send HTML to 3d party HTML2PDF service like http://www.htm2pdf.co.uk/

We do not know nay free one. So I am not sure how we can do that.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 May 2013 00:50

It uses a free PDF lib/converter.

That converter is piece of crap. That is why Joomla refused to use it officially. Good PDF may be created only by server components and best one windows based. So online converters is the only option for good conversion.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
16 May 2013 10:22

That converter is piece of crap. That is why Joomla refused to use it officially.

:-) Maybe. Anyway, it seems to be the most used or well-known HTML2PDF solution. Maybe it depends on the source and styles.

I searched again, and i always come across domPDF. At least if HTML is the source.

There were also interesting Drupal projects and modules. Seems to work... for most purposes.

I think, good enough for a "format conversion" and storing the "content" as PDF. Its not about a pixel-accurate representation, IMHO. Nor templates for professional offline printing.

PS: As for myself, I use local Tools, Browser plugins and build-in System printing (save as PDF). Suitable for personal archives... but if you just want a certain main page content, maybe a receipe or a bill, membership card etc. It might be very handy to convert a certain page area into a PDF.