pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
08 May 2013 14:33

Hello, most users know about the extra option in Cobalt config, but I would like to go one step further. What exactly does this option? I mean, what happens in the background... Which files are loaded or added. Where do they come from etc...

Maybe also interesting: When do you recommend to use it? Possible issues when activated? etc.

Benefits: - reduce general compatibility issues beforehand - reduce support questions - satisfied new users ;-)

(Maybe it's worth to add a short article in knowledge base area)

Thanks in advance!

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
09 May 2013 05:14

If compatibility mode is on, then Cobalt call

JHtml::_('bootstrap.loadCss');

This method simple adds to the head

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/media/jui/css/bootstrap.css" type="text/css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/media/jui/css/bootstrap-responsive.css" type="text/css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/media/jui/css/bootstrap-extended.css" type="text/css">

That is it.

To use this parameter is recommended when Cobalt is used in Joomla templates that does not includes bootstrap.css.

Sergey
09 May 2013 05:32

Thank you very much. Are those files minified versions?

I do тещ know. In fact I do not care. It is Joomla core files and bootstrap load method.

Thank you very much. Are those files minified versions?

an you also load the cool ICOMOON webfont?

I do not think so.

pepperstreet VIP
22 May 2013 05:15

Does J!3 always load bootstrap JS file ?! No matter which template is used.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
22 May 2013 05:24

yes ...

Sackgesicht VIP
22 May 2013 05:36

But not the css files ..

If you have a non bootstrap template, the compatibility switch will add the css files to it to make cobalt work properly, since Cobalt will need them.

You will notice it, when your template displays all the filters instead of hiding them ...

Sackgesicht VIP
22 May 2013 05:56

Not sure, maybe this can help ...

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4320768

Sergey
22 May 2013 06:21

I am curious if JUI BS can be removed completely

No. And if they do it ww will end up where we started. Everyone will have to style and markup components differently. And even if 2 extensions uses bootstrap every extension will have to load it separately. This will lead to the problem if you want styled bootstrap but you cannot change all bootstrap.css fiels included each by different extension from different location.

I mean bootstrap is key point. It is absolutely senseless to totally get rid of it. It is like trying tottaly get rid of Mootools in Joomla 1.5 and replace with jQuery. Man, you have to change every extension and every files for that. the same with Foundation. There is place only for one. Developers cannot supply layouts for Bootstrap and Foundation markups especially since they do the same thing. Why to use Foundation at all? What is the difference? You can do with Bootstrap absolutely the same as with Foundation.

Sergey
23 May 2013 01:56

Foundation has more advanced (build-in) grid features! Hence mobile grid:

BS3 is calmed "Mobile first"

No, you got me wrong.

I am sorry. now I got what you mean. I think you can update CSS file anyway. it should work in most of the cases.

No, you got me wrong.

Foundations Off-Canvas layouts are pretty cool.

I agree that foundation has it is own advantages. I like it too. If i start new project perhaps I will use this framework. But with Joomla we are stucked with BS. No way to replace it.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Oct 2013 20:25

BTW, can you also load the cool ICOMOON webfont?

1.) I still think, this is a useful option in Cobalt global config. As additional option to "compatibility". This iconfont is an official part of the JUI library. If used in Cobalt templates, it is easier to load it once. IMHO, this font belongs to "full" compatibility.

2.) I also would think about adding "Font Awesome" as the most used and accepted alternative ;-)

Maybe include it in Mint/Media pack? Or load it from bootstrapCDN.

pepperstreet VIP
07 Oct 2013 20:29

If compatibility mode is on, then Cobalt call

JHtml::_('bootstrap.loadCss');

This method simple adds to the head...

I wonder why it does not load the smaller MINIFIED versions? They are already in the JUI folder.