pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
06 May 2013 05:58

Idea

Create multiple bookmark-categories. You might call them lists or collections of other items. In addition to a single "flag", a user can assign an article to a "category" or "label". Other users can see those collections.

I am not sure how "bookmarks" differ from "favorites" in cobalt (technically). Maybe there is redundancy anyway?!? Can´t both rely on the same code... e.g. : Do you know the Drupal's module "flag". This can be used and configured multiple times. You can rename it and use a different icon. Really like the multi-usage.

Real world examples

IMDB.com - User's Lists. See lower right side bar for "Related Lists". To create your own lists, you might create a free account to test the functionality. i.e. my favorite horror movies of the last decade etc.

Youtube.com - Playlists - See button "Add to..."

Twitter.com - Lists for user categorization. See popup next to follow button "Add/Remove to lists..."

Screenshots and possible appearance

Visual examples in well-known websites...

behance / add + new in 1 step

dribbble / add+filter, and new category in 2. optional step

dribbble / 2nd step

Possible solutions

A.) Cobalt offers single bookmarks and favorites. Is one of those features extendable? Logically, this idea applies to both?! Combination with Cobalt user-categories.

B.) Cobalt 8 introduced new user-homepage features and re-posting of my own and other author's articles! Maybe this is a suitable interface as well?! Combination with Cobalt user-categories.

C.) J! core Tags integration? They support nesting! and also images.

D.) Cobalt build-in tags? Tags as collection label? Basic functionality is already there. Limit selection to author submitted tags already there. Maybe a separate tags "section", don´t mix with usual site tags?

E.) Another technical idea, beyond bookmarks/favorites: Relation fields

Create an article (serves as collection), in category MyCollections. Then use a Relate-field with manual selection. The selection could be a step-by-step process. From category-tree down to an item selection. Or by title auto-complete. All selections (URLs) are stored in this field. Displayed in frontend via template or simple UL/LI.

Example workflow like in ArticleRelationPlugin by greatjoomla.com (need to login with "artrel"!)

Example manual RelatedItems field by Yootheme ZOO

Thanks for listening.

(This is a Re-creation of my own Resources and Cobalt 7 topic.)

Last Modified: 26 Jan 2015

andiamine VIP
Total posts: 295
02 Oct 2013 10:34

Great idea thanks :D

pepperstreet VIP
29 Apr 2014 21:31
Edit
  • corrected link to C7 topic and backlink.
  • Corrected 3. example screenshot.

pepperstreet VIP
23 Jan 2015 16:53

Some thoughts...

Maybe the lists/collections and user-categories could be merged into one feature?!
I have heared about new frontend category management in Cobalt9+. Is it seperated from user-categories?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
26 Jan 2015 03:21

pepperstreet Is it seperated from user-categories?

Category manager accessible only for admins and specials, and user category manager only for particular user.