andiamine VIP
Total posts: 295
31 Dec 2012 18:01

i'm developing multilanguage website with cobalt , so what new features their ? can i create only one section that can be multilingual. or separate sections ?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
01 Jan 2013 00:48

Cobalt 8 fully support core Joomla multi-language approach.

Later we will add JoomFish integration.

Sergey
02 Jan 2013 00:55

That depends on what you need. Joomla core multi-language is a parallel translation type and JoomFish is mirror translation type. Depending on your request.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
03 Jan 2013 13:45

I want the same.

Here's my opinion...

Since i will use it i will try that when user press REGISTER, that the option to choose language is included on the register form (to avoid login, edit profile and change language).

Joomla uses language overrides (thanks to Sergey for reminding me) and u can use for example MLS_YOURLABEL on the labels name and you can go to joomla language overrides and set MLS_YOURLABEL to whatever u want in a specific language.

Of course this is only for registered users... you can use Metamod module for modules as well.

This does not apply to:

1 - Check where the user comes from

2 - Display language based on his location

Which would solve most ur concerns.

Integrate Joomla language choice on the register form is something i need but i already asked for help on joomla.org forum but nothing until now :S

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
26 Apr 2013 15:12

07 May 2013 05:27

I have struggled for some days before choosing between parallel translation method (joomla default) and mirror translation method (joomfish or falang components)

With mirror translation method there is a lot less work to do obviously, but I am afraid to have issues with "records module" or other modules displaying cobalt records, because I remember that in resources they were not able to retrieve the correct language records if using mirror translation method.

So currently I am trying to setup everything for paralell translation method... but let me say this, it's a tremendous amount of work if you have a big site with many categories, modules and menu items... everything has to be manually duplicated. It may be ok for small sites, but it is a real pain if the site is big.

For Cobalt I also noticed the following issue:

as, for what I understand, it is not permitted to "move" a content from a section to one another

or to save a copy of a content in a different section

then if you have the following section/category structure:

English (section for english contents)

Category English 1

Category English 2

Italian (section for italian contents)

Category Italian 1

Category Italian 2

if using parallel translation method a user is always forced to create a completely new content, which means uploading again the photos, configuring again the google map and so on... even if those fields are exactly the same ones of the content he is going to translate.

This because as I said he cannot use the "save as copy" feature to simply copy a content in another section and then transated it.

To be able to do this you will need the following section/category structure instead:

Home Section (section for all contents)

Category English

SubCategory English 1

SubCategory English 2

Category Italian

SubCategory Italian 1

SubCategory Italian 2

with this structure you will be able to copy a content from a category to another in a different language

but... keep in mind that if you have a lot of categories and subcategories you will end up having an extremely complex structure, not to talk about the amount of work to create categories for every language, manually retrieve the URLs to create menu items (because you can only link to a cobalt category using external URL menu item type), and set up everything.

So... the above method works as far as I have tested now,

but I would definitely use mirror translation method if I knew for sure to not have issues with "records module" or other modules displaying cobalt records (because I rememer that in resources they were not able to retrieve the correct language records if using mirror translation method.)

Sergey
07 May 2013 09:56

but... keep in mind that if you have a lot of categories and subcategories you will end up having an extremely complex structure,

Not only that you know that Categories take a lot of resources. You may slow down your site too.

Another problem that may pop up here that user may accidentally navigate to wrong category. I am in english but I get to italian and no one can stop me to do that.

I strongly believe that in parallel translation new section have to be created.

May be in your case mirror translation is better?

07 May 2013 10:02

the problem with separate sections and parallel translations is that you cannot copy records from one section to another one (which is a pity because you have to upload again images, files, set again map and os on...)

mirror translation is better, but I suspect (but I have not tested very much in cobalt) that records module will not be able to retrieve the records in the current site language, it will display records in mixed languages

07 May 2013 10:05

BTW ... I am having issues with mirror translations when trying to translate records

http://support.mintjoomla.com/en/cobalt-8/questions/mirror +translation+not+working+for+records-3887.html

Sergey
07 May 2013 10:11

mirror translation is better, but I suspect (but I have not tested very much in cobalt) that records module will not be able to retrieve the records in the current site language, it will display records in mixed languages

This is easily fixable i think we can add parameter to that module.

07 May 2013 10:13

that would be great Sergey (but I am not sure of that, it's just that I had that issue with resources)