Xtream VIP
Total posts: 129
26 Sep 2012 08:19

Hello Sergey.

What do you think about next idea for multilang site.

In Joomla 2.5 we can set for all modules, articles, menu items, language parameter.

If we set Russian, we will see this module/article/menu only in Russian side of our site.

Maybe it is be possible to use this function for Cobalt fields? For example we have three languages on site (RU, EN, LV). We can create one HTML field with language parameter RU, second with EN, third with LV. In form template we will see all this three HTML fields, to input our multilang text. And after this in article we will see only text from Russian HTML field, for Russian side of site.

Last Modified: 16 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
04 Mar 2014 14:34

Please see our statement for Cobalt 7

We now give it out absolutely for free. But future development and feature resuests are no longe accepted for that version.

But for Cobalt 8 it is discussable.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
05 Mar 2014 00:05

Sergey But for Cobalt 8 it is discussable.

FYI - The latest SEBLOD v3.3 included something like this. Language restriction on field level. Purpose and request was also to have 1 submission form for all languages... Especially useful for not full site transalations, where you just need some important content parts to be translated. Also interesting for using only 1 menu structure... or even 1 category structure.

BTW, reminds me on my older topic about "language switch inside article", where i asked for a toggled field, where i can show/hide a certain translation. Maybe this is also achievable by an existing language content plugin (see JED).

Sergey
05 Mar 2014 04:10

I do not see much advantiges for language field for fields. We have it on type. That means user may submit the same type on different languages already. The language on fileds is only make sense when you want user to choose language for particular field during input. Or when you wan user to input field eg. textarea on few languages within one article.

pepperstreet VIP
09 Mar 2014 23:04

Sergey Or when you wan user to input field eg. textarea on few languages within one article

Exactly, this is one possible use case. If the majority of the article does not need content translation i.e. tech specs/digits, sizes. But it might have an important description to understand the functionality or features.

Another use case: Easy translation for 2/3 languages. Especially with Joomla core translation and mirrored/duplicated content. It would allow to translate ONLY content... keeping the same menu and category structure. Also keeping URLs/alias in main language (preferribly english).

Adding NEW content inkl. new MenuItems and categories is a real pain in J! core. It is nice to have, but is not maintainable by the average client / enduser. Creating only the Content in 1 form looks pretty easy, IMHO.

Sergey
10 Mar 2014 06:33

In Cobalt 9 I was plannig to add to textarea and html fields ability to enter text in few languages.

pepperstreet VIP
10 Mar 2014 22:59

Sergey textarea and html fields

I guess, this could be done already with a content plugin like... :

Easy Language

n3t Language Filter

To avoid entering plugin syntax in editor... we could use multiple Cobalt fields and add a respective output template, and just load the specific language plugin.

"Easy Language" seems to work as a system plugin and is triggered everywhere. Even in titles, backend, templates like Cobalt output template etc.

Sergey
11 Mar 2014 07:08

That is awesome!

But I was thinng about litle bit more control what to show, what is deafult and what is required.

pepperstreet VIP
11 Mar 2014 20:43

Sergey litle bit more control what to show, what is deafult and what is required

I see. Surprise your customers! ;-)