tofty VIP
Total posts: 54
08 Nov 2016 04:45

Hi,

I'm struggling to fully understand how to set up my site with Cobalt.

This is what I am currently picturing the structure of part of my site to be.

• Home
  • -Educate
  • -Plan
  • -Cook
  • --Tips and Tricks - Recipe / Article List
  • ---Grouping (Eg: Breakfast)
  • ----Single Recipe / Article
  • --Quick and Easy - Recipe List
  • ---Grouping (Eg: Salad)
  • ----Single Recipe
  • --Gourmet Fair - Recipe List
  • ---Grouping (Eg: Dinner)
  • ----Single Recipe

However, I need to ensure the parts that need to be connected get done right.

I have it partly created, some in Joomla Articles, and some testing parts in Cobalt - it is a work in progress, and not finalized: https://feast-for-freedom.com/

I have mostly figured out how to do the recipes, and make them mostly look the way I want. But I'm struggling with how to actually structure the tree in the Cook part.

Before installing Cobalt I had already created the main design elements on the Home, Educate, Plan, and Cook pages. I really don't care what the url's will be, or if they are inside the Cobalt area or not, but I don't want to change how they look. I still need to create the levels under those, and that's where I'm struggling.

Do I leave the Home, Educate, Plan, and Cook pages the way they are? Then link them to a Cobalt Section? Or Type? What would the Cobalt Section be? There will be some Recipes that will need to reside in more than one List. So, to do that, what do I need as the Section? Cook? Or can I have 3 Sections - Tips and Tricks, Quick and Easy, and Gourmet Fair? Can records exist in 3 Sections? Or should I keep them in 1 Section?

I will have multiple levels above the recipes (eg: Quick and Easy > Breakfast > Cereal > Recipe; or Gourmet Fare > Soup > Chicken > Recipe). I think this would be straight forward once the core structure is made.

If I understand correctly, I should be able to create a Section that never would actually show if I set it up right, but it could act as the core of Cobalt, to allow my parts to link as desired.

I pretty much understand the Fields, but have no idea how I could use Categories, and if that would help at all. (Maybe I could use them to aid in keeping urls in some sort of structure I want? I don't care if there is some Cobalt structure included, or numbers or some extra directory names. Maybe this will help with creating my breadcrumbs? As the breadcrumbs do need to be fully human readable, so people can easily back out of how they got to where they are. I think I need to worry about the core structure first.)

Note I'm using Gantry for the backend design on most of it. I also installed the Advanced Cookbook App for Cobalt ( Click here to link... ) , ( Click here to link... ).

I'm really not a programmer / developer so I'm just kind of doing my best to get this set up right the first time.

Thora

Last Modified: 11 Nov 2016

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
08 Nov 2016 09:11

I am not sure what plan and educate pages are and if those should be created by Cobalt.

But basicaly, you create new section for each new entity. Think of section as a folder for results of the form submissions. And types are simply the forms.

What I can see now you create section Cook, and then all its categories. Create link to that section. You should see categories there. Copy those links, and insert them into menu creating menus of next level.

tofty Do I leave the Home, Educate, Plan, and Cook pages the way they are?

I am not even sure you use Cobalt for that. Sounds like a simple Joomla static page. But if it is a directory with list of articles, then yes Cobalt should be used separate section for each menu element.

tofty There will be some Recipes that will need to reside in more than one List. So, to do that, what do I need as the Section? Cook? Or can I have 3 Sections - Tips and Tricks, Quick and Easy, and Gourmet Fair? Can records exist in 3 Sections? Or should I keep them in 1 Section?

This is more complicated. It really depends on may things. But main parameter to deside is to learn form structure for each category. If form is the same just like HTML article, then it can be same section, different categories. If form is different and type have different fields with filters, that would be smarter to make it each new section.

tofty I pretty much understand the Fields, but have no idea how I could use Categories, and if that would help at all. (Maybe I could use them to aid in keeping urls in some sort of structure I want? I don't care if there is some Cobalt structure included, or numbers or some extra directory names. Maybe this will help with creating my breadcrumbs?

yes, category is a part of breadcrumbs. But in many saces simple select field can act as a category. When you are to deside what to use? category or field, it is all about SEO. Category can create landing page for each group of your products/articles. That can help tp optimize the page to search engines.

tofty VIP
Total posts: 54
11 Nov 2016 04:04

Hi Sergey,

I have been able to make this work based on your instructions. Thank you. Still fine tuning my breadcrumbs, but I have one whole "leg" working, so I just have to tweak some settings.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thora