Giorgi625 VIP
Total posts: 655
23 May 2017 18:03

I have enabled Version control in Types parameters and added record and edited it 3 times so now I can see in dropdown of settings icon item with title: Version Control - v.3 , but when I click on it nothing happens. My user is superuser and is set as global moderator so I have full rights.

I had same problem on old site, because of this I created new clean joomla installation but it seems that there is different problem, because I remember that in old version of Cobalt and JoomlaVersion control worked on that old site.

Can anyone confirm that you have same problem or am I only one?

Last Modified: 18 Jun 2017

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 May 2017 23:13

Giorgi625 and edited it 3 times so now I can see in dropdown of settings icon item with title: Version Control - v.3 , but when I click on it nothing happens

You should get a submenu dropdown on hover:

file

Did you try list view and full record view?
Maybe it is a visual issue and the dropdown opens outside the browser-window border? Did you check out the page source? Is there any dropdown submenu markup?

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
24 May 2017 03:23

I checked the version control rollback feature from V.3 to V.1 --> it seems working.

What is not working is the "compare with current". I changed the marker of a geo field but even if the field is shown as red in the compare view, the data is the same.

Then i tried a different field (child) .. the same ... both versions show always the latest content, even though the field is marked as "red".

The version control might need a closer look if the functionality is fully working.

Giorgi625 VIP
24 May 2017 09:54

I checked and submenu dropdown exists for old versions but I don't see them on site. I checked with default template and my custom tempalte. problem exists in both templates, also in full record view.

I have not made any changes to Cobalt core files.

Can it be caused by BootStrap 3 ?

Version Control

I have tried different Joomla templates: Joomlart Intranet, OmegaTheme Shirt, Joomshaper Helix 3(on different sites), but have same problem with all of them.

Sackgesicht VIP
24 May 2017 11:53

Just for the sake of testing - How is the protostar template?

Giorgi625 VIP
24 May 2017 12:40

Sackgesicht Just for the sake of testing - How is the protostar template?

I already tested it on another site where it did not worked, but after you posted it I decided to test it on actual site and here it works.

But I can not change my current template so I need to find out how to make it work.

!!! Update

Huh I enable template compatibility and it works now, I had desabled it before because it had ugly look when compatibility was enabled. It changes My Joomla tempaltes Mega menu view also which is bad.

So I don't know what to do when VC is disabled design is good but some functions does not work correctly, if VC is enabled functions work but design is broken.

Giorgi625 VIP
24 May 2017 12:57

This is how menu looks when Version Controll is disabled

https://s12.postimg.org/cx845n8fh/vcof.jpg

This is how menu looks when Version Control is enabled

https://s1.postimg.org/jmc3n4xv3/vcon.jpg

Size of menu is on Cobalt pages is different then on other pages and active menu item have some inner shadows on cobalt pages.

Giorgi625 VIP
24 May 2017 13:29

Now discovered other differences too.

My cobalt list view page displays very different in VC on and off pages.

Is there any solution to make functions work when VC is turned off?

pepperstreet VIP
24 May 2017 14:52

Giorgi625 I have tried different Joomla templates: Joomlart Intranet, OmegaTheme Shirt, Joomshaper Helix 3(on different sites), but have same problem with all of them.

Joomlart T3 has its own global setting to get better "Legacy Compatibility". Did you try and enable it?
UPDATE: Tested by myself with T3 PURITY. No success. No difference. :(

In general, mixing and loading BS2 and BS3 leads always to issues!
For instance: BS3 Dropdown menus do NOT support multiple levels. For a strange reason, they removed the respective class and CSS (!?). Here is a german article that describes the issue and lists the necessary CSS. Maybe a better solution to get the dropdown working again, instead of loading BS2 CSS completely.

UPDATE:

CSS fix does work in Joomlart T3 Blank BS3 and PURITY III. At least the dropdown submenus for Version Control works. Probably this applies to other BSv3 powered templates and providers.

Here are the CSS rules from the mentioned article.
You might add them to your templates custom CSS.
Or just paste them in the COBALT markup template parameter -> Custom CSS ;)

.dropdown-submenu {
     position: relative;
}

.dropdown-submenu>.dropdown-menu {
     top:0;
     left:100%;
     margin-top:-6px;
     margin-left:-1px;
     -webkit-border-radius:0 6px 6px 6px;
     -moz-border-radius:0 6px 6px 6px;
     border-radius:0 6px 6px 6px;
}

.dropdown-submenu:hover>.dropdown-menu {
     display:block;
}

.dropdown-submenu>a:after {
     display:block;
     content:" ";
     float:right;
     width:0;
     height:0;
     border-color:transparent;
     border-style:solid;
     border-width:5px 0 5px 5px;
     border-left-color:#cccccc;
     margin-top:5px;
     margin-right:-10px;
}

.dropdown-submenu:hover>a:after {
     border-left-color: #fff;
}

.dropdown-submenu.pull-left {
     float: none;
}

.dropdown-submenu.pull-left>.dropdown-menu {
     left:-100%;
     margin-left:10px;
     -webkit-border-radius:6px 0 6px 6px;
     -moz-border-radius:6px 0 6px 6px;
     border-radius:6px 0 6px 6px;
}

Results in JA BLANK and PURITY:

file

file

Giorgi625 VIP
24 May 2017 15:43

T3 legacy compatible feature is turned on.

Your suggested css code worked, thanks.

It's very bad that Cobalt uses BS2 :/ all frameworks and templates I like, are using BS3 and it takes very much time to addapt Cobalt to that templates.

Yes I have added that css code and Version control works now.

pepperstreet VIP
24 May 2017 16:28

Giorgi625 It's very bad that Cobalt uses BS2 :/ all frameworks and templates I like, are using BS3 and it takes very much time to addapt Cobalt to that templates.

Yep, but Cobalt is not to blame. The Joomla 2.5 -> 3.0 co-existance story... and the bootstrap core implementation is the biggest failure in Joomla 3 history! Not to mention the ever-lasting jquery mootools struggle.

PS: I feel your pain and it really is a chicken-egg-situation. Either you adapt templates or choose a none BS3 framework! There are alternatives.
A personal and general advice: Try to lean back and have a second objective look on your websites... Ask yourself:
How much styling and functionality survived AFTER your make-over? Was it worth the effort? Did you ever use the millions of features and the interactive layout editor!?
Over the years, I have often modified a ready-made template and figured out I could have made it from scratch in less time. Without all the framework bloat and overhead.

Sackgesicht VIP
24 May 2017 18:46

How about the "compare view"?

Here it does not show the older content.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 May 2017 08:22

Sackgesicht How about the "compare view"?

Here it does not show the older content.

You mean it shows original but not the history version?

Sackgesicht VIP
25 May 2017 08:35

yes, both version are the same ... but the row is correctly indicated as red. Example name before was "Test1", then changed to "Test2" .. now it shows for old and new version "Test2"

Sackgesicht VIP
25 May 2017 09:11

i looked closer into it .. it seems it is dependend on the field TYPE ... a normal text field works while a "child" field or a "geo" field does not work in the comparison.

Sergey
25 May 2017 15:42

I can see. It does not work with geo field because of JS of the same field and record ID on the same page makes conflicts.

And Relation fields are too complicated to compare. those fields do not even store data in Record JSON.

pepperstreet VIP
26 May 2017 00:58

In my previous test to fix the CSS issue... I have used some standard fields.
Among them an HTML field. Apparently the changes are not logged in Version Control?
Is it supported anyway? Or too complex because of HTML code.

UPDATE:
Apparently one installation had an older Cobalt version. Updated to 8.740
Works! :)

Sackgesicht VIP
26 May 2017 07:14

pepperstreet Among them an HTML field. Apparently the changes are not logged in Version Control?

Here, the HTML field is working within version control. 2017-05-26_15-13-18

Sergey
02 Jun 2017 12:44

I checked Version Control once again. Everything works so far for me. To debug it futher I'll have to get access to the site witht this proble persist.

Sackgesicht VIP
05 Jun 2017 04:11

Sergey And Relation fields are too complicated to compare. those fields do not even store data in Record JSON.

Actually the child field stores the record value(s) in the 'fields' column (example: "25":[95321] ), version control recognizes the change, but the display is wrong --> it shows for both states the latest version --> Bug.

Sergey
18 Jun 2017 08:37

Sackgesicht it shows for both states the latest version --> Bug.

Right, because unlike others, relation fields do not use records JSON data. Even if it stores something. When record is loaded it runs query and query for every record versio will return the same, what we have right now.