heykiddego
Total posts: 3
16 Sep 2014 20:25

In Cobalt 8.542, in the com_cobalt/models/record.php file, in the _controls function, the Archive menu item is commented out, preventing it from ever appearing in the menu for records. Can this please be fixed in future versions? We rely on this feature.

Thanks!

Last Modified: 22 Sep 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
17 Sep 2014 00:04

Because we do not have archive feature. It wa only confusing people. Although you could change status to archived, but there was no way to list archived articles.

heykiddego
17 Sep 2014 00:55

There must be a better way to handle this. Features should not be removed in minor product versions, especially when their removal is undocumented. Backward-compatibility is important if anyone is going to use your product in their development.

Additionally, this does not actually remove all the functionality. It can still be done from the administrator side.

We have been using your product for more than a year, and are dependent on this, but the administrator-side is not sufficient for our needs, and we hate to patch 3rd party code unless absolutely necessary.

Could you possibly make this an optional config setting that is off by default? Then those of us that still use it could continue to do so without patching your code every time we update.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sergey
17 Sep 2014 01:19

After you archive record, what happence? how user access it then?

heykiddego
17 Sep 2014 19:26

We do not need the user to access it. It is like deleting it, but the record is still in the database. This is important for us, because we need to be able to perform some actions afterwards, which requires us to know the field values of the record. We treat this as a delete operation for users, but with our post-delete operations still having access to the values stored in the record.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
17 Sep 2014 23:41

Sergey how user access it then?

As far as I remember, "archived" is just another value in DB column "published". I remember I tried the archive option in backend, and it changed "published" from 1 -> 2

What about adding this to Records module parameters? i.e. show only archived.

I might have ask before... but why did you remove/disable the archive status? Because of user's "hide this record" feature?

Sergey
18 Sep 2014 02:16

You can use hide option. Or unpublish. That will do absolutely the same.

pepperstreet VIP
18 Sep 2014 15:15

Sergey You can use hide option. Or unpublish. That will do absolutely the same.

o.k. but HIDE is generally used for "Drafts" or tempoprary removal by the author. And PUBLISH is generally used for approval workflow. So, a separate "ARCHIVE" feature still makes sense, IMHO. Also for special section listings and modules (show only archived).

Sergey
19 Sep 2014 01:24

pepperstreet So, a separate "ARCHIVE" feature still makes sense

I agree. But it does not work. There is no actual archive. It only hides the same like unpublish. The only difference in backend that unpublish article has 0 and archived has -1 in published field of DB.

So, since there is no posibility to list only archived records, unpublish is just the same.

pepperstreet VIP
19 Sep 2014 16:48

Sergey So, since there is no posibility to list only archived records, unpublish is just the same.

Yep, i know. But what was the actual problem with the cobalt list menuItem parameter? It is still there. Also, Cobalt API seems to lack the "archived" status completely. I guess, it should be used in "view_what", right?

Sergey
21 Sep 2014 03:54

pepperstreet But what was the actual problem with the cobalt list menuItem parameter?

It is not there I think. It was there bun never worked as expected.

pepperstreet VIP
21 Sep 2014 20:37

Sergey It is not there I think

Current Cobalt 8 version!

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-21 um 22.33.41

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-21 um 22.33.13

Just removing the Cobalt frontend feature is not enough. Remove it completely OR keep it (and make it work!). ;)

Sergey
22 Sep 2014 04:01

pepperstreet (and make it work!)

I whish to do that. I'll try to improve it in cobalt 9. But for now I'll not change anything in Cobalt 8. Let it be like it is now.