gracescircle VIP
Total posts: 38
12 Oct 2014 18:05

Hello,

Some of our competitors allow for gift subscriptions. As I understand it, a user will purchase a coupon code, which is e-mailed to themselves (or an e-mail address they specify). The coupon code will then be used by another user and their subscription will be activated.

Does Emerald have this ability now? If not, does it sound feasible for you to develop?

Thank you,

Don

Last Modified: 26 Aug 2022

Tags Emerald 10

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
13 Oct 2014 14:21

There are few ways to do free subscriptions.

1. You can make first period of any subscription for free by seting a discount equal to price.
  2. You can create free subscription that user can subscribe only once.
  3. You can grant any subscription once automaticaly after user registration

But what you said, looks like MUA (Multiple User Access). If you eneable it, user who purchased subscription, will be able to generate coupon, and share it with limited number of users. And then those users can activate that subscription on their account for free.

gracescircle VIP
Total posts: 38
13 Oct 2014 18:47

Hi Sergey,

I do not want to offer anything for free though.

The idea is that one person, whether they are active subscribers or not, can purchase a subscription for someone else. They would do that by paying us the current price for the desired subscription. Emerald would then have to send a unique one-time 100% coupon code to either the person purchasing the gift subscription, or the person they are sending it to. The subscription does not start until the recipient has activated it by using the coupon on a new or existing subscription.

Emerald can do this right now, but the process is entirely manual. I would have to accept an offline payment, create a unique one-time 100% coupon code, and e-mail it to either the purchaser or recipient myself. I would like for this to be automated in Emerald.

Many large companies such as eBay, Lowe's, etc offer this service. Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/rpp/gift-cards/

Is this something that you may consider for a future release?

Thank you,

Don

Sergey
15 Oct 2014 02:18

gracescircle Emerald can do this right now, but the process is entirely manual. I would have to accept an offline payment, create a unique one-time 100% coupon code, and e-mail it to either the purchaser or recipient myself. I would like for this to be automated in Emerald.

To me this is not exactly what you want. You do not want subscription to be activated for one who purchase right? If you want just enable MUA for enother person. And then purchaser will be able to get that coupon.

gracescircle Many large companies such as eBay, Lowe's, etc offer this service. Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/rpp/gift-cards/

Is this something that you may consider for a future release?

Now I perfectly understand what you mean, and yes I'll consider it for the future Emerald 10.

15 Oct 2014 07:42

thanks for sharing

18 Jan 2017 07:07

Any more news on implementing this feature for Emerald 10 and when it may be expected? We are still having to use Akeeba subscriptions and HikaShop for this feature and we would prefer to migrate across entirely to Emerald.

nican VIP
Total posts: 392
18 Jan 2017 08:41

following!

Sergey
19 Jan 2017 13:00

Added to task list.

14 May 2021 10:46

This is one of the best suggestion.

Ryan | Ice Maker repair

killersmile