nblgeoweb VIP
Total posts: 178
15 May 2017 22:13

I've been experiencing a ton of uploading problems (Cobalt 8.740 / Joomla 3.6.5) and was hoping someone out there could help guide me to a solution. I'm finding problems with all the upload methods (HTML4, HTML5, and flash). I have another upload related ticket open but this seems to be a much broader problem now so I've opened this as a new issue. The following are the upload methods and the problem I have:

HTML4: one file of any size uploads fine. Trying to upload an additional file to the same record causes the progress bar to start but it just hangs at 67% and the upload never starts.

HTML5: Files <= 101400 bytes work fine. Files larger than this are found in Joomla's tmp directory and are truncated to 101400 and file entries are not saved with the record. This number seems to be the default chunk size used by the moo uploader.

Flash: The upload appears like it's working but when you save the record, the file(s) aren't listed in the record anymore. The files are still found in the appropriate upload directory though.

I've got the same result using the latest versions of IE11, Chrome, and Firefox. I've also recreated this on a totally new installation of Joomla 3.7 and Cobalt 8.740 with nothing else installed - default template and no other extensions.

Any ideas? I haven't been able to discover any error messages to get some hints. This used to work fine but I can't seem to figure out at what release it stopped working.

Last Modified: 25 May 2017

Luckboy VIP
Total posts: 25
16 May 2017 09:59

I have the same problem. but, upload addition file stopped on 91 % (when I choose a thml 4)

Luckboy VIP
16 May 2017 10:00

My installatin joomla 3.6.5, joomla 3.7.0, and 8.740 cobalt

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
16 May 2017 11:33

Are we talking about gallery fiield or file upload?

This error is defenitely server related. Because when it comes, it does not matter if you change Joomla version or not.

And for some people it eists and for majority not.

SO I think it is something about server.

Like for example after i moved to new server with MintJoomla I can no longe upload files in gallery foeld bigger than 100kb. But I was able to do so on the old server. Although I've changed nothing. I moved my site with Akeeba backup.

nblgeoweb VIP
16 May 2017 13:28

The problem is with the file upload field in my case. I haven't tried the gallery field. I'm kinda thinking server as well even though I haven't changed that in a couple years. I have been steadily upgrading Jomla and Cobalt though so maybe something became incompatible along the way. My first suspicion is something to do with the version of PHP I'm using. In the two environments I've tested this in, I'm using PHP 5.5.15 and 5.6.29. My hosting provider supports PHP 7 as well so I'll give that a try on my test server and see what happens.

nblgeoweb VIP
16 May 2017 13:46

PHP 7.0.14 (FastCGI) yielded the same results. Any idea on what PHP settings may be related to this problem?

nblgeoweb VIP
16 May 2017 18:07

I'm working around the problem for now by setting the chunk size in the MooUploader to be very large. It's not a very good workaround since it defeats the whole purpose of chunking files in the first place but it works for my purposes. I'll keep poking around for a proper solution though.

Luckboy VIP
17 May 2017 04:36

I have this problem with gallery field, and I'm not changing my hosting provider for a years...

Sergey
17 May 2017 10:19

Luckboy I have this problem with gallery field, and I'm not changing my hosting provider for a years...

Do you agve the same problem with uploads field?

Luckboy VIP
17 May 2017 23:56

I don't need in this field, but I tested it. And, yes, the same problem with uploads field... May be some folders need some restrictions? I don't know, how works upoads or gallery field. May be someone tell me, what I need to verify in my joomla, cobalt...

Jeff VIP
Total posts: 745
19 May 2017 02:55

Sergey SO I think it is something about server.

Like for example after i moved to new server with MintJoomla I can no longe upload files in gallery foeld bigger than 100kb. But I was able to do so on the old server. Although I've changed nothing. I moved my site with Akeeba backup.

Are you sure? I have three sites on the same server. Two of them have the same issues but one is ok.

Jeff VIP
19 May 2017 04:36

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
19 May 2017 04:47

Overall there is maybe a need to retire the existing Mootools upload field and replace it with a modern Non-Mootools "Upload 2" variation which supports drag and drop as it was planned for Cobalt 9.

Jeff VIP
19 May 2017 04:58

I agree. And what about drag and sort support?

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
20 May 2017 23:53

Sackgesicht ... retire the existing Mootools upload field and replace it with a modern Non-Mootools "Upload 2" variation which supports drag and drop as it was planned for Cobalt 9.

+1000

Yep. Clean and polish C8! Should have the priority over a "new" C9.

Jeff VIP
22 May 2017 00:30

pepperstreet Yep. Clean and polish C8! Should have the priority over a "new" C9.

+10x100

Yes please! But maybe that's what C9 is all about, a clean and polished C8. It is not only about getting rid of Mootools dependencies, but also about simplifying functionality and usability. We sometimes get carried away by demanding new stuff, but we need to improve the User Experience also. Mobile-first design taught us the importance of simplicity, uncluttered screens but also translating real life gestures into actual user interface interaction.

I was drawn to Cobalt because it reminded me of a Swiss army knife: an incredibly versatile instrument with hidden gems. It has a toolset that can be used beyond the scope it was originally designed for.

Let's push this thing to the next level :-)

nblgeoweb VIP
22 May 2017 18:42

+10^3

I agree with pepperstreet and Jeff about more polishing of C8 vs efforts on C9. It's the classic problem in software devolpment and marketing... develop fancy new features vs cleaning up existing ones. Another thing I agree with is Cobalt is full of hidden gems and is incredibly versatile. I could say that it is the best Joomla CCK but Cobalt is really in a class of it's own and beats them all hands down when it comes to versatility and capability.

jimie VIP
Total posts: 531
23 May 2017 17:15

+10 from me also, years passed and from what it seems a C9 version won't come around very soon, Google SEO requirements is already making more and more push over site load speed, so maybe Sergey agree to remove this damn Mootools in Cobalt8 if he can't come with that new version out :(

Rgds

Sergey
25 May 2017 13:04

nblgeoweb VIP
25 May 2017 23:37

The problem is indeed fixed with the suggestions identified in the above post. Thanks for your persistence on this one Sergey to help find a solution. I appreciate your efforts.