R08
Total posts: 3
27 Apr 2013 03:32

Hello Cobalt community,

I've been looking at using a CCK to extend functionality of my Joomla 3 website. I'm looking at hiring someone to build some of these features. But I'm just not sure if Cobalt can handle these features, and not sure if Seblod or Cobalt 8 would be a better choice. I've been reading a lot about Seblod and Cobalt 8 and because I don't have an extensive programing background it's hard for me to tell which CCK is optimal for such requirements.

These are some of the features I would like a CCK to handle:

**Article version control. ** Basically I would like to use some sort of version control system to allow multiple people to make edits to an article with each version saved. Basic feature should include comparing articles to previous versions and being able to see the difference and roll-back to previous versions.

**Customized blog submission form **- user should be able to submit main article photo, this photo should auto-resize to a specific size, and create a separate thumbnail image.

Image gallery in blog post - Image upload button to upload several images that would display in the article as an image gallery. (can any Joomla plugin be called to display the image gallery?)

**Custom ajax search box **- When user searches for keywords a separate window on the page displays matching results in real time.

**Email JomSocial activity **- Can Cobalt collect all activity and discussion posts on JomSocial and email a listing to users. Each user should be able to subscribe or unsubscribe to these email updates.

If you can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
27 Apr 2013 03:42

Article version control. Basically I would like to use some sort of version control system to allow multiple people to make edits to an article with each version saved. Basic feature should include comparing articles to previous versions and being able to see the difference and roll-back to previous versions.

Cobalt 8 has Rollback feature, you can compare and back to previous version if you need

Article version control. Basically I would like to use some sort of version control system to allow multiple people to make edits to an article with each version saved. Basic feature should include comparing articles to previous versions and being able to see the difference and roll-back to previous versions.

Customized blog submission form - user should be able to submit main article photo, this photo should auto-resize to a specific size, and create a separate thumbnail image

I did that too for my blog post, cobalt do that easy, please check gallery field

Customized blog submission form - user should be able to submit main article photo, this photo should auto-resize to a specific size, and create a separate thumbnail image

Custom ajax search box - When user searches for keywords a separate window on the page displays matching results in real time

I think you can do that but with MijoSearch and Cobalt plugin for Mijosarch (new version has ajax search)

but you need check

Custom ajax search box - When user searches for keywords a separate window on the page displays matching results in real time

Email JomSocial activity - Can Cobalt collect all activity and discussion posts on JomSocial and email a listing to users. Each user should be able to subscribe or unsubscribe to these email updates.

HHmm i'm not sure, but what i'am sure there is plugins for Jomsocial which allow to have sections / categories in Jomsocial profil and work with activity but about email feature for activity, we are going to wait the Sergey's anwser :)

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
27 Apr 2013 22:46

Rob,

as clowride answered already most of your questions, i just want to add my experience with Cobalt 8.

Regarding the Version control, you will find the best and most comprehensive implementation for a Joomla CCK in Cobalt 8. It will store all field information and you can roll them back to any version you want. The comparison view between the individual versions will make it easy to see the changes (marked as a red row).

**Submission of photo. **

as said by clowride, the extra field gallery will do exactly what you described ...

Custom ajax search box

depending how you configure your search/search fields ...

Most of the fields have the "suggestion" feature included, where it shows you even the number of occurrences of the search word.

Jomsocial email

This will require a custom development ...

R08
28 Apr 2013 02:29

This sheds some light on things. Thanks you.

Just to clarify about the version control system. From the image it looks a little different then what I have in mind. I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I am envisioning a feature that compares the text edits made to an article, like this extension does. See image for example...

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
28 Apr 2013 04:15

Robert,

it does the same just in a much much more comprehensive way.

First you can search by articles, data ranges, sections, types, users and actions.

When you found the article you want to check, you will see its history.

Then you can compare, rollback or even restore deleted articles. Restore works even with attached documents through upload, gallery etc fields.

The screenshot from my previous post shows the compare view between 2 versions.

If you need a version control, there is no other choice than Cobalt 8.

R08
28 Apr 2013 23:00

Goot to know. I couldn't tell from the screen-shots but from what you're saying it sounds like it can do that plus a lot more. Okey, sounds good.

Thanks for the quick replies!

• Robert

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
29 Apr 2013 02:32

Email JomSocial activity - Can Cobalt collect all activity and discussion posts on JomSocial and email a listing to users. Each user should be able to subscribe or unsubscribe to these email updates.

Unfortunately no. But I think JS have to have this feature and ability to alert user on new activity. As fo Cobalt it can send it's activity history to JS. And also can send email alert summary of all event in Cobalt.

JomSocial may have also activity from other extensions you use. So as it is central part to collect activity I think this feature have to te be implemented on the level of JomSocial.

Custom ajax search box - When user searches for keywords a separate window on the page displays matching results in real time.

There is a search. And even FULLTEXT search. But not AJAX one. And I did not understand what do you mean by "separate window on page"?