Michel_ VIP
Total posts: 61
25 Jun 2012 03:19

Is it possible to have Fields (in Types) conditioned to another Field (Add new record - frontend) ?

For example :

Field 'Media' (multiselect) with two options : 'Books' and 'Videos'

If I choose the option 'Books', I get a conditional field :

• Field 'Format_books' (select) with two options : 'epub' and 'mobi'.

But if I choose the option 'Videos', I get another conditional field :

• Field 'Format_videos (select) with three option : 'avi', 'mp4' and 'mkv'.

Of course there is another solution : create two types with different fields.

But if you have a record with 20 fields and only one different, it's a lot of work.

Last Modified: 01 Dec 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 Jun 2012 05:17

You can create different types like book and video and others. THen you create list to submission without type_id in URL and user will see chose of types to be submitted to section. And every type may be limited only to some special categories.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
25 Jun 2012 05:19

But if you have a record with 20 fields and only one different, it's a lot of work.

yes, you are ringt. But this is only was as for now. But it is in our road map. Conditional fields are coming but later. Because we still in investigation process of how to best implement it not affecting speed and at the same time offer ultimate flexibility.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
04 Nov 2012 17:17

Because we still in investigation process of how to best implement it not affecting speed and at the same time offer ultimate flexibility.

Maybe worth a look: CommunityBuilder Conditional Plugin. Though it is CB API relalated, it makes heavy use of jQuery. Regarding performance, maybe its possible to do most of the logic and work on client side.

stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
06 Nov 2012 12:53

It would cut some work if there was a possibility to copy a type, just changing the specific field that is different

stblink VIP
07 Nov 2012 11:43

By the way, i have another question.

Since conditional fields are not yet implemented i will have to create 4 forms with different fields.

Form1: basic fields (adress, name, e-mail, etc)

form2: Form1 + aditional fields

form3: form 2 + aditional fields

form4: form 3 + aditional fields

Is there any problem having fields with the same name across the types ?

I want users to be able to search for example, title of the record, independent of if it was inserted using form1, form2 , form3 or form4.

Does Cobalt allows this ?

thanks

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
07 Nov 2012 11:54

No, in fact Cobalt supports multiple types under the same section and fields from different types with same name will be displayed under the same column in full (list view)

I want users to be able to search for example, title of the record, independent of if it was inserted using form1, form2 , form3 or form4.

Yes this will work under a multi-type setup.

stblink VIP
07 Nov 2012 13:01

No, in fact Cobalt supports multiple types under the same section and fields from different types with same name will be displayed under the same column in full (list view)

1 - And when editing the record later... the user will be redirected to the type that was used to insert the record ?

2 - If the user entered all the data using form1 and 2 month later wishes to "upgrade" (different form to fill), when redirected to form2 will the fields from form1 appear already filled? This way the user would only be asked to fill the aditional fields that are empty.

Thanks!

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
07 Nov 2012 13:23

1 - And when editing the record later... the user will be redirected to the type that was used to insert the record ?

Yes

If the user entered all the data using form1 and 2 month later wishes to "upgrade" (different form to fill), when redirected to form2 will the fields from form1 appear already filled?

No since form 1 represents TYPE 1, form 2 -> TYPE2, etc

If you want to use different forms with 1 TYPE, this topic might be of interest for you ..

stblink VIP
07 Nov 2012 13:38

Thanks Sack!

If i have any questions i will post on the topic you mentioned!

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
01 Dec 2014 00:54

Sackgesicht If you want to use different forms with 1 TYPE, this topic might be of interest for you ...

Updated link to related topic, due to moved Cobalt7 forum on new domain:

Separate submission forms for different categories in same type