cherosoullis VIP
Total posts: 165
20 Aug 2013 15:58

I was wantering if video field which allows you to link videos from youtube and other related sites can we get informed when a link is broken in order to remove it?

Let's say I link to a video published in youtube and for a reason gets removed for there. How should I know that in order to remove the entry or to replace the link?

This will look very bad in a site if it's happening often.

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

clowride VIP
Total posts: 1,022
21 Aug 2013 06:51

in my case i use mail fied like "report link broken", i know it can seems stupid but it is the only one solution i found :(

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
21 Aug 2013 10:17

Tip/Workaround:

You might add a "report broken link" or general report problems feature for your visitors and users. So, you don't have to check every item for yourself.

Idea for Cobalt:

Maybe its possible to add a backend Batch-Tool/CRON job that pings the video provider? BTW, is it possible to recognize and identify a removed video at all?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
22 Aug 2013 06:40

What I can do is to add parameter into Video field

"Unpublish record on broken video"

And if video filed will not find valid video code, it will publish article until user fixes it. Or admin may check all unpublished articles.

But this is not really good. There may be temporary problem with video hosting or so. I think best way is to use common practice and use email field to add "Report video" button with preset choices like Video broken, Video appropriate, ... All user have to do is to select type of repost and click send.