klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
02 Mar 2015 10:58

Hi,

does anybody maybe know of somekind of workaround for displaying notifications on phones. Because of small size screen and if I have 5 notifications enabled those notifications are taking all the space of screen.

Regards

Last Modified: 03 Mar 2015

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
02 Mar 2015 17:30

Hello klox7,

which type/style of notification? Do you mean the GROWL style? Can you provide screenshots and examples?

In general, I think you can solve this by CSS and media queries.

klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
03 Mar 2015 07:38

I mean bootstrap notifications in Notifications module. In general you can solve it with css but in my opinion it stil can take a lot of screen visibility (depending on number of visible notifications) and you must close all notifications if you don't want them to be visible. It would be great if there was a link to notifications in notifications module so you can quickly go there an mark notifications as read. Or an icon with new notifications warning.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
03 Mar 2015 23:50

klox7 bootstrap notifications ... can take a lot of screen visibility (depending on number of visible notifications)

Yes. Actually it is not perfect for all devices and screensizes. Fortunately you can set a low limit.
I would also suggest to assign it to certain MenuItems i.e. the user's profile or the Notifications Center.

and you must close all notifications if you don't want them to be visible.

Unfortunately it lacks the advanced features you had in "Notimoo". Maybe it gets some parameters for timing/automation in the future.

It would be great if there was a link to notifications in notifications module so you can quickly go there an mark notifications as read.

You can create a MenuItem type for "Notification Center". At least it gives you a link...

Or an icon with new notifications warning.

I remember I did a MenuItem Override in Joomla 2.5 and Cobalt7. It displayed the number directly at the "Notification" MenuItem title. Maybe I can retrieve and recreate it for J3. There where some changes and it needed some work ... Then I totally forgot about it.

Mobile suggestions

A.) Do you have an Off-Canvas area on your site? You might display the Notifications module in default style in it. And you can open/collapse it any time.

B.) Do you use a template/framework which detects mobile devices? Then you can create a template and layout style for small devices. Show Notifications/Bootstrap module only in this layout. All other layouts use the default style.

C.) Add mobile detection to your template and code / Related article!